User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has anyone been a "whisleblower"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody can believe this either, everyone I tell it to thinks I'm lying or at least stretching it a bit but I'm not. I wouldn't even pay attention if it was minor complaints. I come home yelling about my job sometimes but it's nothing but "bad day" things (broken machine etc) but nothing like the way this company treats their employees these days. I wouldn't put up with that sort of treatment for five minutes, within the hour I'd likely be arrested for assault! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

This company is in Minnesota but they have many plants mostly in the south (and now several shops going up in Hong Kong and Bangladesh). I don't have any problem with folks over there having work too but it was coordinated that the day before the latest contract meeting they had was to be shown a hour long video of the head of this company and their biggest clients (John Deere and Toro) chatting about how much money they could save if they moved their operations to the far east. I'm sure it's a good scare tactics to get these people to agree to just about anything (a reduction in working benefits and no health coverage or pension upon retirement) and no raises for the next few years. Every few months we recieve a newsletter "xx nets 9.9 million in the summer quarter" so they aren't going broke. Just basically being nice enough to let you guys work here. About once a year the company has an ethics meeting, wherein the q & a portion employees who ask questions are told to "pipe down" or "shut up".

I keep urging my mom to just leave them and cash in the portion of the pension she has coming. As I say she's at retirement door now she will be old enough to retire after this new contract is up. She'd be getting about 2 paychecks worth and she could get a job anywhere til the social security kicks in, in a few years. Even my regular job has older women doing hand inserting of mailorder catalogs and charity newsletters. I don't get to do that job often being a machinist but it's great when I do. Just kick back in a cozy chair at a table with a few friends and chat and stuff mailers all night. Certainly not exciting but no one is having strokes from being hollered at all day.

Yes, the union at her job is rediculous "that's what's coming from company headquarters and it's out of our control". You know, my mom said everyone was saying how lame the union was and had no backbone, everyone said they were gonna vote in new people. And here it's all the same idiots as before, I don't wanna say it sounds rigged but it does. If the union has been bought off I suppose they could easily say so and so won and they really didn't and keep the madness going. But it's the older folks who are getting it most, the new hires are given far more leinency. The new hires will not be getting hardly any retirement benefits at all basically whatever you save is your retirement.

One plan I had (it's a crazy one - of course) was to get a job there (claiming no relation to that other person with the same last name) and then report them!
    I suppose some lawyer would figure out a way to call that entrapment... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Anyway, I don't want to do anything with courts, only to have the company be made to treat their workers fairly and decently (like humans). She always said it wan't an easy job but she did somehow find enjoyment in it. Now it's completely messed up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]This company builds motors
    Electric motors or engines? If they're engines there aint no way anyone can assemble 400 a day. What kind of drugs are the bosses on?
    As for OSHA, I had a friend who used to work for Mccain Traffic Supply. They manufacture traffic signals, etc... Anyway, there was a slew of safety issues there, people getting hurt, dumping chemicals, etc...To make a long story short, someone called OSHA on them. It turns out that OSHA told the company that they were coming. The plant bosses made the workers fix everything real fast so that they looked squeaky clean. Of course the company passed the inspection, and as soon as the OSHA guys left everything was as it was before. If the OSHA guys want to catch the violators, why do they announce that they are coming
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] being a machinist
    You should know where the CNC in my username comes from [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    I do CNC lathe work for a small aerospace shop in San Diego. I love my job, I love the company, these guys are great to work for. This job is the only thing keeping me here in S.D. I want to relocate to Michigan, but would be afraid that I would get a job like the one you describe. I seriosly do not think I would ever find a job like the one I have now [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    Hi. My name is Ron, and I am a nepaholic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, they're engine motors, hydraulic parts. She assembles something to do with steering.

Talking with her late into the night tonight (it's about 1 am and he's usually asleep by 7 or 8 pm) I think she's going to take my plan and bow out a couple years early. I moved back home and helped her pay off the mortgage so all that's really bills are the various utilities and monthly association dues. I help with that anyway so I think all should be well. I make a decent wage and have all sorts of other activities going which bring in some money (sculpting and freelance studio work downtown) so I don't think we'll be "penniless" as she is so fearful of. She tells me when I was a little kid we lived on $15 a week and she grew up even poorer than that so she's just afraid. I told her tonight that she supported me as a kid so there's no reason I can't do the same in return. I hope she really goes through with it, I want to see her happy once again, it seems like it's been so long.

...thanks for listening guys! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awwww...that's really wonderful that you take such good care of your mom. I know she appreciates it and it must mean an awful lot to her.

In a world where you hear so much about crime and horrible events every day...its good to know there are still nice people with a heart out there. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The terrorists have 9/11 and her company has 9/12!

Everyone in the whole company got warning letters today for not meeting the insane quota. "every week we will review your numbers and give you a warning letter until you're fired" is the exact words they told each person.

So she called tonight after work and got the Pension stuff started so they can't take that away too. Her official last day will be Nov. 1st but she has nearly 5 weeks vacation so I told her to put in for vacation for the last 3-4 weeks and make her B day the last day in he11!

Now I have a big party to plan... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. That's insane. In fact...its so crazy, it makes you wonder if that company has ulterior motives. Like indirectly forcing so many people to quit/get fired/retire. So they can then hire cheaper labor??

Well I'm glad she's getting out of the hell-hole but I feel sorry for all the rest who will still be there.

Party on!
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a happy resolution I'd not last a week there, your Mom has to be a very strong woman, and deserves to be away from that lot. That sort of stress kills. It makes me sick that this sort turn a profit when they should be flushed with the bowl disinfected after. Party hearty, and congratulate your mom for having the fortitude to spit in the eye of the demon.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123