User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone been a "whisleblower"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've finally had it with my mother coming home and crying every night. There's so many illegal things going on at her job, not the least of which is the continuing harrassment of the older folks who are getting ready to retire. She's got another 3 years before she's 62 and can retire with her full pension & bennefits. The union there has aparently been bought off because they say "there's nothing we can do about it".

I guess I'm just curious if any of you have done this to a crooked company you worked for or for someone/some people who are afraid to do it for themselves. Everyone at that place seems scared to do it so I will, I have nothing but rage, no fear! I plan on contacting first the Dept of Labor & Industry Standards followed by the State's Attorney General's Office. Is there anyone else official I should contact?

Thanks for any info you can give me, I plan on making my initial phonecalls on Monday.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought.
    If you call and something happens to the company, can it possible affect your moms pension & benefits?

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Josh

I have a similar situation with my wife coming home and telling me all about the cr@p that goes on in her office.
    When I am in the middle of something like that I tend to lose my temper and explode, however when it's someone else I am much better at taking my time and thinking things through.

Not that you shouldn't trust your mother but I suggest you speak to a few other people there to get a bigger picture before taking any action.

My wife came home with a problem a few days ago and I actually wanted to go in and deck my wife's new "boss" (for lack of a better word) last week, but I told her to sleep on things and speak with him about her problem the next day. Turns out someone else had misunderstood his instructions, at least that was his story. Whatever the story really was he quickly fixed things without bloodshed - HIS bloodshed!

Your mother might be in a situation where she can't see the entire picture, or any one of a number of other things.
    The more evidence you collect before blowing the whistle, and from sources independant of your mother, the more credibility you will have when reporting.
    Think things through a little, make sure everything is correct and your reasons are legit, and you will have a better chance of success.

Cheers, Troy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work for SBC, and they are new here, having bought out Pacific Bell. It is like Hitler has come to California. Folks who talk about honesty and ethics in the business, and yet have no honesty, nor ethics. Seems that since the B. administration took hold of and ruined our freedoms, and murdered our Liberty, how could SBC do any less? I feel like a slave, and not an appreciated worker. Not that anyone cares.

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Troy said. You need to find someone to substantiate what may *seem* evident before acting in a way that might create more problems than are solved. Yes, it's a hard call.
    I've been in situations where I knew company actions were a crime. I was compelled to accept bribes in a construction project that would allow workers to slip out for half days. I alerted the company to the fact, and was shortly thereafter laid off. The company was well aware of the bribe scenario and expected me to cooperate with the crime. That way, they were squeaky clean, but if caught it would be on my record. I did the right thing, but I paid for it, and in the end no one favored the right thing except for little old me - not the company, not the union and not the workers.

Attendant to this crime, I was also informed I would be expected to purchase a gram of coccaine per payday from the union steward whether I enjoyed the substance or not. I was never so happy to be laid off and freed from that cess pool. The fun postscript for the latter was my ex-wife was drafted for the Grand Jury that eventually convicted the union steward.

On my next job in a nursing home I watched helpless old friends abused by the administrations policies to the point where I did make a complaint to the powers that be. All it got me was unemployed, and those poor old folk then had one less friend on hand. Nothing else changed. Usually these issues are sewn up tight in case there is some complaint or action, and that's how the crimes are allowable to begin with.

Man, I feel for you - but your mom is a big girl and if she elects to play it her way and stick it out then all you can do is comfort her with your understanding and forbearance. No one should have to go through this sort of crap, but there are few white knights out there that will spring to your aid or pat your back for doing the right thing, sad to say.

Now the trick is to keep your good heart and good will in the face of the demon: then you really do win although it might not seem it.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you are serious about taking on a company, pay close attention to what kind of stuff your local papers are writing about. the media can be your friend. my wife has taken on the local school board, the county hospital board and other similar groups and done a great deal at keeping them on the straight and narrow. while your mother may work for a private company, good reporters and investigators take on private companies all the time and do good. granted, depending on friendships and corrupt individuals you can still run into a brick wall but it doesnt hurt. in the end though i think its your mothers desition and not yours.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a good lawer, you will need one!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This reminds me of the Silkwood movie.