Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Never in america?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capslock the key is they asked and begged for federal help AFTER the hurricane hit.

On Friday night before the storm hit Max Mayfield of the National Hurricane Center took the unprecedented action of calling Mayor Nagin and Governor Blanco personally to plead with them to begin MANDATORY evacuation of NO and they said they'd take it under consideration.This was after the NOAA buoy 240 miles south had recorded 68' waves before it was destroyed. President Bush spent Friday afternoon and evening in meetings with his advisors and administrators drafting all of the paperwork required for a state to request federal assistance (and not be in violation of the Posse Comitatus Act or having to enact the Insurgency Act). Just before midnight Friday evening the President called Governor Blanco and pleaded with her to sign the request papers so the federal government and the military could legally begin mobilization and call up. He was told that they didn't think it necessary for the federal government to be involved yet. After the President's final call to the governor she held meetings with her staff to discuss the political ramifications of bringing federal forces. It was decided that if they allowed federal assistance it would make it look as if they had failed so it was agreed upon that the feds would not be invited in.

Saturday before the storm hit the President again called Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin requesting they please sign the papers requesting
    federal assistance, that they declare the state an emergency area,
    and begin mandatory evacuation. After a personal plea from the
    President, Nagin agreed to order an evacuation, but it would not be
    a full mandatory evacuation, and the governor still refused to sign
    the papers requesting and authorizing federal action. In frustration
    the President declared the area a national disaster area before the
    state of Louisiana did so he could legally begin some advanced preparations. Rumor has it that the President's legal advisers were looking into the ramifications of using the insurgency act to bypass the Constitutional requirement that a state request federal aid before the federal government can move into state with troops - but that had not been done since 1906 and the Constitutionality of it wascalled into question to use before the disaster.

Throw in that over half the federal aid of the past decade to NO for
    levee construction, maintenance, and repair was diverted to fund a
    marina and support the gambling ships. Toss in the investigation that will
    look into why the emergency preparedness plan submitted to the federal
    government for funding and published on the city's website was never implemented and in fact may have been bogus for the purpose of gaining additional federal funding as we now learn that the organizations identified in the plan were never contacted or coordinating into any planning - though the document implies that they were.

The suffering people of NO need to be asking some hard questions as
    do we all, but they better start with why Blanco refused to even sign the
    multi-state mutual aid pack activation documents until Wednesday which further delayed the legal deployment of National Guard from adjoining states. Or maybe ask why Nagin keeps harping that the President should have commandeered 500 Greyhound busses to help him when according to his own emergency plan and documents he claimed to have over 500 busses at his disposal to use between the local school busses and the city transportation busses - but he never raised a finger to prepare them or activate them.

as far as guns, violent crime has be steadily rising in Britain. it used to be a proud comment that your police had no need to carry firearms, now you guys have some of the strictest gun laws on private citizens in the world and your police are now having to carry handguns. what sence does that make? im glad you feel safe but im afraid of any government that fears my guns. states such as Florida who has some of the loosest gun laws in the states has a declining violent crime rate amoungst its residents. California with some of the strictest has amoung the highest. im sorry but its a good 10 minutes OR MORE for a police officer to get to my house, i would be stupid not to own a gun for the protection of myself and my family if i take their wellfare seriously. alot of damage can be done to an unarmed family by a doped up psyco with a baseball bat, ive seen the pics of the aftermath of just such an encounter.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry Wolf but i was typing my last post while you were posting.

sorry you feel that way, but im more worried about Joe Blow being able to protect himself while your trying to restore order elsewhere. who cares whether they can or cant own a fire arm if there sole plan is to man the fort and protect their family? i really dont see the logic behind you argument

BTW, thanks for vollenteering your time to go down there. if i wasnt half the US away i would be volenteering what time i could to help.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I can see his point.I would hate to get shot while trying to help someone,that is the way I see it.Yes I agree everyone has the right to own a gun,but in a case like this I think there has to be an exception.And yes Rattler,I agree with you about defending youself also,but this is a messed up situation. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Jerry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EVERYONE? I don't think druggies or felons or something have the right to own guns. Call it unconstitutional or whatever, I don't care they should NOT be allowed to carry guns.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think felons will buy a gun,they can't.It is against the law for a felon to have any firearm.

Jerry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, if it's the everyone's rights to own guns then they're part of everyone :P
    (yeah i'm just nitpicking)
    I bet there are plenty of people who think every single person in this country has the right to own a gun. just checking.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well every non-felon does. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Jerry

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WolfStriker, you make a very good point. Order needs to be restored. But there was psycho with guns shooting into the refugees, at medical helicopters, etc. If I was stuck there with psycho like that, there is no way I would give up the only way I have to protect myself and my family. If I gave up my gun how can you guarantee my family's safety? Are you going to put an armed guard outside my door 24hrs a day? I agree that order needs to be restored and fast, but my top priority is myself and my family's safety. And thank you for giving your time to help in a very bad situation.

Rattler, where did you get all this info about Bush trying to get the state to sign that document? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just haven't heard anything about that. Only thing I heard that he did was to cut his vacation short the day after the hurricane.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast