Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 300 pound bear my dad shot today

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in NW New Jersey, and we have the highest concentration of black bears in the U.S.. I see a bear on average 2-3 per week. The incidence of bear encounters has increased dramatically over the past five years or so, due mainly to the reduction of bear habitat. The housing explosion in my next of the woods has been unbelievable. The Appalacian trail is approx. 1 1/2 miles from my house. A hiker on the trail was bitten on the leg while asleep in his sleeping bag(caught on video by a fellow camper) about three weeks ago. Why the fellow hiker went for his camera instead of scaring off the bruin remains a mystery. They're debating whether or not to have a bear hunt this year. N.J. had a hunt two years ago, it was the first one in 35 years. There was no hunt last year, and there is a heated debate on having a hunt this year.
    there is a pleasure in being mad, which only a madman can enjoy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    considering the population of both humans and black bears, and the dates and the number of those attacks, not to mention it's over the whole of north america, that's nothing. More people get killed by bees every year. Heck, I think more people get killed by falling coconuts (oh... just searched. 150 people worldwide are killed by falling coconuts each year. can you imagine? "how did billy die?" "oh, a coconut fell on his head and killed him")... at least that's the case with shark attacks (12 deaths a year worldwide)
    and don't even get me started on how many people are killed by people like every darn day.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lets please not let this turn into another debate. i posted this because i know a few people like Rattler like to hunt. i didn't post it to start a debate.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad your Dad wasn't hurt. I know that was a bad situation and he had to do that to be safe. But, like Ozzy said, I hate seeing a magnificent animal like that killed. Your Dad was in his territory...not the bear in your Dad's. Its a shame it came to that. But like I said, I'm glad your Dad is OK.

And people can talk about bears and hunting if they want to. Nothing wrong with that.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember hearing the guide in a Kenyan game park explaining why he carried a rifle. He said it was purely to reassure the tourists, and if he fired it he would be fired himself.
    The point being, if he does his job properly he won't get into a situation where he needs to use the rifle.

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Sep. 10 2005,10:14)]considering the population of both humans and black bears, and the dates and the number of those attacks, not to mention it's over the whole of north america, that's nothing. More people get killed by bees every year. Heck, I think more people get killed by falling coconuts (oh... just searched. 150 people worldwide are killed by falling coconuts each year. can you imagine? "how did billy die?" "oh, a coconut fell on his head and killed him")... at least that's the case with shark attacks (12 deaths a year worldwide)
    and don't even get me started on how many people are killed by people like every darn day.
    yeah, plus a lot of bears are endangered, and if you go on its territory youre putting yourself at risk, so its not exactly the bears fault if you get charged; its just protecting its territory

And there are ways to repel a bear without killing it
    And yeah, TonyC I agree with you, if a person is doing the job properly they wont usually encounter a huge bear

Its simple: If you dont want to encounter a huge bear which might kill you, then dont go on its territory
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast