Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 300 pound bear my dad shot today

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Its simple: If you dont want to encounter a huge bear which might kill you, then dont go on its territory
    Dino, I live where these bears live. If I go outside my door there is the potential that I will encounter a bear. What am I suppose to do? Live inside my whole life.
    While it's highly doubtful that I'll encounter a bear unless I go into the woods, the posiablity is there.
    Dino do you like seeing pics of wild cp's that people (including myself) here post's? How do you think we get those photos without going into a bears territory? Everytime I go into the woods to look for cp's or snakes I put myself in it's territory. I wouldn't shoot one unless I had to, but I have to be prepared to do so.
    I really don't like to see any animal killed, but sometimes it's nessasary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real problem is simply that there are too many people on this earth.
    They killed a tiger in Sumatra last week because it ate some guy who was (probably illegally) clearing the jungle.

Eventually, everything is going to "get in our way" and we're going to have to kill it for some reason or other...

This isn't a judgement on anyone, I killed three rats this week so I'm as guilty as anyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent lots of time alone in bear territory in Maine and never felt a need to carry a gun. And it wasn't because of any deep seated animosity towards guns. I have guns. I just never felt the need. I placed myself in far more risk by being alone where I could have been injured in any number of ways, with the most improbable being a bear attack.

My heart skipped a beat the first time I came across fresh bear tracks on a wet morning, but the only two bears I ever saw were while I was in a car. I have no doubt I was close enough to bears at other times that they knew I was around, but I never knew they were. The only time I encountered anything that really scared me was when I came across some guys walking along a ridge with one carrying a shotgun. They said the were hunting but, unless they were shooting hawks catching an updraft, there was nothing other than me to hunt up there. Either way, I didn't want to be around and cut my day short. A bear is a much more predictable threat.

But this in no way is a criticism of someone who shoots a charging bear. Yes, wildlife biologists say a bear is probably bluffing, but that's easier said without a bear charging at the time.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never hunted bear. Those picker bushes are killer when you are bear naked! Hey, that is just my opinion. Nice bear! It is deer season already? In Michigan it does not start till October 1rst.
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    archery season opens earlier than rifle and the dates for both vary quite abit from state to state.

Ozzy, speed goat is a pronghorn/American antelope

No bear is endangered in North America. the grizzly is protected and no hunting allowed in the lower 48 but in Canada and Alaska thay have healthy populations that can sustain regular hunting. i hve seen wild grizzlys myself in Glacier park, a sow and her cub, but i was a mile away looking through binoculars. close encounters do happen though. in Montana you MUST pass a bear identification test before you can purchase a black bear tag. if you shoot a grizzly hat wasnt causing you harm(and they have investigators on payroll to look into such things) your in trouble, big trouble. infact there is a joke about waiting until there are teeth marks in yah before pulling the trigger on a griz.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found these tracks yesterday while I was in the woods. Are they from a bear?

That is a dime I put there for a size reference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not a bear. not quite sure what it is but it looks strange, first thought is dog but everything is out of proportion(toe pads bigger than the "heel" pad) mind if i borrow the pics? i can probably get you an answer on another board.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, you can use the pics. When I saw I was very sure it wasn't a dog. When I was looking at it in person, it looked bigger than the pic. Even with the dime there it doesn't seem to acuratly show the true size of it. If it wasn't a dog or bear, then what else could it be? They are the only animals in the are that have padded feet with claws, that I'm aware of anyway.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast