What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A nrbelex poll: fuel choices:  if you could,

A nrbelex poll: fuel choices:  if you could, - Which alternative would you use?

• E85

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Natural Gas

• Hydrogen Fuel Cell

• Electric

• Biodiesel

• Plug-in Hybrid

• I wouldn't use any of the above

• I like our current fuel (gasoline, diesel)

• Total voters

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
If you had to choose an alternative to gasoline, what would you choose? Feel free to post your reasons why.
smile.gif

To help make your decision, here is a chart explaining what each alternative is:

altern.jpg

I'd have to go with hydrogen but only once we have enough alternative energy sources to really make it's production cleaner.

as of today? E85 however if they can get the infrastructure up to support Hydrogen i wouldnt mind going with it

E85 sounds great for now... too bad there's none that I can find in the suburbs of NYC and my 2001 car won't take it.

~ Brett

We have the E85 at quite a few gas stations here in NE. (corn country)

Joe

In a few cases (depending on who the power to your house comes from) electric can be less desirable than gas. If they're using fossil fuels to generate the power that you plug the car into every night, you might actually be wasting more energy than you would if you just put those fossil fuels right into the car in the first place. Figured I'd mention it since they didn't.

I remember a Dilbert cartoon from 2000, during the California electric crisis.

Dogbert was on TV saying his electric company produces all its electricity with the aid of California environmentalists.

The next panel showed two guys throwing a bound & gagged man into a furnace, while they were commenting, "These sure are getting hard to find!"

A plug-in hybrid is something we can do now to good effect. The other options all have major infrastructure changes necessary to implement them.

Capslock

I also like the idea of E85. As with anything, early on, the price starts out higher, until the infrastructure gets established. It's kinda like calculators being a "dime a dozen" now or computers coming down in price. Man, we gotta get away from oil!

Unless the car/truck has a flexfuel engine,I don't think it will work as the flexfuel engines have different fuel systems.I have a 2000 S10 with a flexfuel engine,but around here there is no E85.

Jerry

There's one thing not mentioned above. Most hybrids that are produced today do not pug in. They create thier own electricity but the turning wheels. That is a very good option and I really can't think of any cons. It has close to the same power as the average car, there is no recharge time, and it's range is the same as gasoline vehicles.
I chose the e85, because I opened my gas tank the other day when gas shot up to over $3 a gallon and I saw for the first time that my vehicle is equiped to run on it, but there are no stations that have E85 within 200 miles of me.

Back