Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Hi, here i have a big trouble... Ibuy a bulb for my terrarium (6,500k), but 2 days later the bulb was on, all new leaves of the plant begin to deformate or mutate, im not sure, well i know plants are not fine so i need know what to do, please help me to help them, the dionea leaves make like a gum, plastic or someting, and they fall, the droseras leaves are growing very weird, they dont have dew and they deforme incredyble, the capensis leaves are circles now... the pinguicula es very small now , please help me.. i dont have a camera sorry.. help [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhh...wow. Since no one else replied I'm gonna try and answer this one... but...the only thing I can think of is that the light is too hot. Check the temperature in the terrarium and for now I would put the old light back in if you still have it until we figure out what's wrong with it.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind and wattage bulb did you have and what did you replace it with?

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Tony that the temperature in the terrarium is probably too high as my drosera also stop producing dew and produce small, unusual leaves in the past when my terrarium overheated. This can be especially bad if your humidity isn't sufficiently high.

If the terrarium temp is constantly >90F, your best bet is to take them out of the tank and place them in a brightly lit but cooler area. VFTs and most drosera/pings really don't need excessive humidity to thrive so you might consider taking them out permanently if overheating is an unresolvable issue (indoor grow racks are a good solution).

Good luck.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!!, thanks ya all!!, ok the new bulb was a 13 wats 6,5ook, i put again the old bulb, a yellow light, the box dont say how many k... is a bulb of 20 wats, yea maybe is the hot is really hot here and the bulb is a litle closer to the plants, hey no1 have a idea of what a smal whithe/gray fly like insects??, they are in the pinguicula pot, i c that in the dionea too. but not in the droseras, i dont have idea whats that, tks for us help.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ack, are you using an incandescent bulb? The proper lights shouldn't be hot at all; warm maybe. You need to get a fluorescent light, like a compact fluorescent bulb or fluorescent tubes. It's probably the heat that's causing most of the trouble. I'd guess the bugs are just there because the plants are in a weakened state.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The heat might do it but can you give numbers? Really hot doesn't tell me how hot. Usually heat damage or burning from a light simply causes the leaves to brown, not deform.

Personally I think there is something else going on. I think perhaps you have insects. No not the fungus gnats you see flying around.. but perhaps thrips or mites or something that are sucking on the young leaves as they develop.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, what numbers pls tell me!![img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]?, sorry im not agresive, but im desesperate dont know what numbers!, ok bugs, were they come??, what can i do??, the 2 bulbs that i say are compact fluorescent bulbs, one was a 6,500k 13wats, i put it away, and the other yellow 20 wats, is the one of the terrarium, the box dont say how many k, Hope us can help me see ya.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast