What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How often do you water your plants?

Just curious how often you have to refill your plants trays.

It's hot as hell here so I have to refill sevral times a day. In the terrarium I just mist it once a day and water maybie once every 2 weeks

-Rail

I do not use trays in my terrarium, so my plants get watered twice a week.

Mine are open tray at SW window sills and It is generally 3X per week.

It really depends. Lately I've been filling up the trays about twice a week, and I've been watering my classic terrariums about once a week. When it's hotter it goes to three times and two times respectively.

Just a question to put out there: For those of you who have classic terrariums in their collection, how often do you water them? I find that my classic terrariums hold quite a bit of water and require less watering.

My terrarium has water at the bottom with an aerator for humidity, and no lid at all. It sits under the kitchen counter, and the lights are under-cabinet mounted. The plants sit in trays, on lifted platforms to get them closer to the lights above.

I refill the trays about once a week (depends on the size and depth of the tray) and have never had the water level at the bottom drop much. I end up pouring it out and scrubbing the tank clean of algae, and microwaving the platforms, trays, and weight-rocks in the bottom about once a month. *shrug*

The temps stay around 70, and the humidity about the same. So far so good.

On the other hand, the CPs NOT in the terrarium need watering daily to maintain their humidity level.

I water 2-3X a week and have to clean about every three weeks. Microwaving, eh. I hadn't heard of that one. good idea. I'm working on putting together some PVC stuff right now as my plants aren't close enough to the lights and are sitting on rubbermaid containers. Water schedule may change if i can finally complete this PVC thing.

Zac

I check on them once every couple of days and water as needed (no set schedule). Typically, my terrarium plants need watering 1/wk; however, there have been times when they haven't needed water for 2-3 wks.

I mostly just mist my terrarium whenever I go to admire it (about twice a day.) Sometimes I go a month or more without actually taking the plants out and watering the pots. I have about ten Neps and a D. prolifera that seem to be just fine with this, and the live sphagnum and aquatic Utrics running loose in the bottom just love it. My Cephalotus also lives with the Neps but it gets watered by hand every two or three days because I've been told to avoid wetting the crown of the plant. My other indoor plants are pretty variable; the D. binata empties it's tall tray in a little less than a week, while my tray with the Genislea and Utrics empties even more slowly. I've got some other Utrics in undrained plastic cups that take water every week or so, and a bunch of D. capensis and P. lusitanica in big undrained tupperware tubs that seem to dry out every three or four days.
~Joe

I top water all of my indoor plants, because I don't like the tray system. For terrarium plants (Neps, ceph, heliamphora) I water once every other week or so. I basically wait until the live sphag. moss on top turns white. For plants out in the open, about once a week. I only use the tray method outdoors.

Brian

I water about 1 time a week..maybe 2 sometimes. as my lowland terraria is about 30C or 90F

Back