Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isnt it illegal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was wondering i was gona make a rock garden with some c's i live in houston tx but my dad brought up it could be illegal could you guysgive me a list of plants that wont spread very fast so ican control them or at all iof posible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Growing CP's outside is not illegal. Maybe if you were just planting non-native species in the middle of a forest that you didn't own, but planting them in your garden is quite within the bounds of the law.

-D. Lybrand
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, growing CPs outdoors in your garden is far from illegal. Like dlybrand said, planting a Cape Sundew in a forest in California would be illegal. This is because Cape Sundews are native to South Africa and don't grow in California, and it would upset the ecosystem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The habitats that CPs occupy are so specialized that the chance of them spreading is pretty much impossible. The only way would be to take CPs and plant them directly into a bog habitat. If you were to take Cape sundews and plant them in a forest in California, they would die, unless the habitat already supports CPs.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can understand the concern, buddha, but I wouldn't worry.

To the others on the list: there are some plants that are illegal to plant even in private gardens in some states. Examples in Indiana are: purple lustrife and kudzu. This is due to the fact that not only are they non-native, but in the local climate they spread in an aggressive and uncontrollable way.

AFAIK no CPs are illegal in this manner. As others have mentioned, CPs generally grow in such a specialized setting that to get them to spread would be HIGHLY unlikely.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now it makes me wonder about all those Darlingtonia, Sarracenia, VFT's, and Utrics that sailed down Wyomissing Creek in the past year....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rock garden? When I think of rock garden I think of aridish sandy well drained soils sloping landscape and big boulders etc. Not a very friendly habitat to CP's.

Unless your rock garden is in the middle of a sphagnum peat bog I wouldn't worry about plants becoming invasive.

I hope you didn't really mean rock garden though!
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, Albion Bog, Fort Bragg, California supports D. capensis, d. binata (several forms), d. peltata, and a host of others. Don't know who started it, but they did a great job. VFT's, too. We won't talk about the sarrs.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast