Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Temp and humidity setup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all. I am currently working on a good sized enclosure for highland neps, tropical drosera, etc. I plan on using an ultrasonic humidfier but need a way to control it. I have heard of humidistats that can be used to conrol the humidifier. That is, the humidistat turns the humidifier on when the humidity gets too low. Does anyone know where I can get the necessary devices for this? Thanks.

-D. Lybrand
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've yet to find any affordable premade units. Companies like Honeywell make wall-mounting humidistats that run for about $60. These are like light switches - you wire them between the power source and the humidifier and they come on when the humidity drops beyond a certain point. You can find them from electrician's suppliers.
    Enclosed units that have plugs for your humidifier built in are much more expensive, from what I've found, as they're marketed to the recreational greenhouse cliques. If you get a wall humidistat rated for 120 or 240 volt lines, you can just buy some electrical outlets at the hardware store and make your own enclosed humidistat. On Time Mall here has all sorts of heating and cooling components, including humidistats. You can also find them at many hardware stores, but you'll find the cheapest deal if you go to some sort of parts supplier rather than a retailer.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm... i dont even use a humidistat! the room humidifier's output is piped into a bulkhead into the back wall of the tank. the dual is turned on halfway to keep the humidity above 80% is winter and above 90% is summer. the humidifier goes off when the lights do and then the humidity drops to about 70% but then rises to 100% within an hour then the temps drop from 90F to 80F in summer and 80F to 70F in winter, all values approximate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,

I use an ultrasonic humidifier hooked up to a humidistat and it works like a charm. It takes the guess work out of humidity regulation. The output from the ultrasonic humidifier is fine enough that it creates high humidity without forming condensation on the leaves, which greatly reduces fungal infection.

The really good humidstats designed for greenhouse use and are pretty pricey ($60-$80), but worth it in my opinion. You want a solid state humidistat, with a "piggy back" plug, and is designed for greenhouse use. Some of the cheaper humistats aren't very accurate, and loose accuracy in time. Here's where I got my humidistat (scroll down on link): http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/acce...ontrols2.shtml

I'm currently building a large highland chamber using a circulation system and humidifer. Hopefully I can post some photos in week or so.

Brian

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey thanks for the link Brian, that's much cheaper than the ones I've been able to find. Which model do you have? Where is the sensor located? Do you have to put the dial itself into the sample area to get a correct reading?
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. The particular setup I had in mind was using a mini fogger and a humidistat. Does anybody know how effective thouse little foggers are for increasing humidity? Or are they just for show?

-D. Lybrand

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're sold for use in reptile terrariums, so I think they should at least be able to push a 40 gallon tank to the 60% rh that some lizards and frogs need. I was planning on doing something like that myself. The Koi Lagoon has the little teakettle-looking humidifiers for $25, much cheaper than other places I've found them.
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.mainlandmart.com also has similar units but has more sizes, etc.

-D. Lybrand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast