What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium ventilation setup

Recently, I got around to building a ventilation system for my 55 gallon terrarium. My goal was to include air from outside the terrarium. The humidifier was to remain a vital role as well. The key is to balance the effectes of fresh air and humidity. Here's the pictures for all you visual learners, while my rambling post follows.

vent1.jpg

vent2.jpg

vent3.jpg

Here's what I did: glued a 12v CPU fan to a PVC "U" joint I had laying around. Connect the 12v wiring to a 9v adapter. I wasn't about to spend $20 for the cheapest AC-DC adapter out there, so I scrounged up a 120v - 9v 1000mA adapter I had in storage. Although the 12v-9v issue concerned me at first, I set the fan on a timer so it runs at 30-60 min intervals a few times a day. This way, its not running all the time and shouldn't run too hot from low voltage. So far, so good.
smile.gif

The humidifier setup has already been explain HERE, so I won't go into detail about it on this post.

The fan itself is outside of the terrarium, so moisture shouldn't have a negative impact on the electrical components.

Results From the pictures, you can see the locations of the 1st and 2nd temperature / relative humidity (RH) gauges. Temperature decreased at the 1st gauge by 1 degree F over the course of the trial (33 minutes). 2nd gauge gained .5 degrees. RH at the first gauge decreased from 91 to 84 RH, while the 2nd gauge went from 86 to 80 RH. I checked the readings every 3-5 minutes, and ended it when I got 3 consecutive identical readings from both gauges.

Conclusions Sensitive SE USA Pinguicula are located near the air input side of the terrarium, and the water level decreases here more substantualy than other trays placed throughout the terrarium. The pings are doing well; from my personal observations, I've noticed P. planifolia will decline rapidly in times of low humidity.

When the humidifier is on at the same time as the ventilation system, one can see the mist swirl about the tank and exit to the right side.

Now that Autumn is upon us, our natural gas forced air heating turns on to keep our house at approx. 70 degrees. The drier air has had an effect on the RH in the tank. Gauge #1 commonly goes down to 68% RH.

happy growing,

Homer

Very interesting setup. As long as the CPU fan holds you should be good.

Zac

Nice setup.  I just did something similar, but with a few differences.  I have my fan next to my window connected to a 4" duct.  I have my humidifier piped into the intake duct about 12" before it enters my chamber.  I also have the humidifier hooked up to a humidstat.  When the humidifier comes on, I can't see any visible mist, even though the humidity is maintained at 80%.

It's nice to see people experiment.

Brian

Awesome setup, great post!
-Nick

Thank you for your comments. I wish I could go "high tech" but since money is a huge factor, going cheap is the way to go. I'm just glad it works for now.

-Homer

I went low-tech on the chamber (it's just a 2x4 frame with white plastic on the inside) so I could splurge a little on other components.  I still wish I had the money for a better lighting system.  I really enjoy taking things and modifying them to suit other purposes.  

Hopefully next weekend I'll have the time to post my current ventilation system.  It's not the nicest looking thing in the world, but it works.

Brian

What kind of lighting do you have on your tank Homer?

Great job! Very impressive!

I use two 4 foot fluorescent tubes, lined with mylar on the inside of the hood. I'm thinking about the feasibility of adding more lighting.

-Homer

What kind of fixture do you use for the tubes? It looks like an aquarium hood...

Nope, its a "Lights of America" hood. Comes with a stardard 3 prong AC plug. No wiring needed on these hoods! I get them at Lowes for around $10-$15

-Homer

smile_k_ani_32.gif

And to think I've been straying away from flourescent tubes this whole time because I didn't want to deal with wiring!

So they sell them in black? Also, does it just rest nicely on your tank or do you have it attached some other way?

They come in gray and white. It just rests on the framework of the tank.
smile_m_32.gif

-Homer

Ok thanks. Right now I use mostly compact flourescents. Do you think I should ditch my compacts for some tubes and one of those Lights of America hoods?

I'm not sure LLeopardGGecko. Depends how much lumen, CRI, watts, etc you are getting from your compact fluorescent tubes already. Then you also have the issue with how much light is actually being reflected into the terrarium, and your terrarium dimensions, etc. You'll just have to experiement.

-Homer

Nice setup! I to am working through the moisture /fresh air balance on a newly set up covered plant stand.
What size tank do you have - It looks like it is at least 21" deep for those plant trays?

21 inches sounds right if I recall correctly.

-Homer

How did you attach those fans to the pvc pipe?

Superglued one fan to the PVC pipe.

I had a highland terrarium set up with a similar design a while back, except that i didn't want to have to deal with a separate humidifier.  I bought a dryer lint trap kit, which consists of a reservoir of water with an attachment for a dryer vent hose on top.  I put an AC muffin fan (ie PC fan) inside the intake hood of the dryer vent, and put it between the storm window and the inner window during the winter, or directly outside in the summer.  The other end attached to the lint trap, which was in the terrarium.  Each night, cool outside air would be brought in across the water of the lint trap, humidifying it somewhat in the process.  It worked pretty well for N. diatas, N. hamata, N. singalana, etc.  I did have to fill up the lint trap pretty regularly though.  The whole ventilation setup cost perhaps $25.

BTW Homer, you don't have to worry about the fan overheating from running at 9V.  It will run slower and more quietly, but not hotter.  Undervolting is a common tactic to silence noisy PC fans.  

Back