Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tropical drosera and nepenthes together

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pea gravel acts as a drainage area for the water. This way the water doesn't water-log your media (which neps hate). If your setup is going to be flat, then just place a 3-4inch of pea-gravel on the bottom. On top of that place your normal lfs/perlite mix. Then plant your plants. To finish it off top it with some plain old LFS, so you don't have to look at the perlite. This way when you water your terranium, your media will be moist and your neps won't be sitting in water.

The only concearn I would have would be how deep your media is going to be. You wouldn't want your nep roots to go all the way down to the pea gravel layer. It would be defeating it's purpose. So use atleast 6inches of media, unless you plan on altering the setup later.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, thanks Outsiders. I'm guessing to do that I would need a tank bigger than 10 gallons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've decided to use my 10 gallon tank after all. I'll be going to Home Depot tomorrow to pick up some pea gravel and possibly some more CPs if they have them. Does anyone have any extra advice before I put together my Nepenthes/Tropical Drosera classic terrarium?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elarwhis, who happens to be logged in at the moment, knows quite a bit about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im looking forward to doing a similar type thing in the future so im all ears as well. *throws a ninja star prior to exiting*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *catches ninja star in teeth and spits it onto the ground*

*laughs*

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Would I be mixing the gravel with the LFS and perlite, or would I be planting the Neps directly into the gravel? How would I set the Neps higher via the gravel?
    You would use the gravel as a drainage layer. The plants themselves would be rooted in the LFSerlite mix which would lie atop the gravel layer.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I'm guessing to do that I would need a tank bigger than 10 gallons
    Not really, though a typical 10gal tank is ~12" high so you would have to consider purchasing slow-growing species. Simply place 2" gravel at one end of the tank and slope it until it is 4" at the other end. Next, place 3" of your potting medium over this and plant your drosera in the low-lying area and the neps in the high-lying area. Put in a fan for circulation (if you're closing your terrarium), place under lights and your done. Adding a reflective suface to the sides is optional. A cheap digital temp/humidity reader is also nice but optional.

If the drosera roots/rhizomes penetrate the gravel layer, it probably won't harm them if the species is a tough variety or likes wet feet. If a few nep roots penetrate the layer, it shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as the plant has a large healthy root system within the LFS mix. There are many positive trophic factors that promote root formation and negative trophisms that inhibit it--so the plant often is in control over where it's roots will go, assuming it's not rootbound and forced to put them out anywhere and everywhere.

Good luck.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12