What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The time has come.  new, huge

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Well, the time has come. I'm tired of growing CPs in the back yard of my apartment, in a home made green house that has an area of about 4ft x 3 ft of "acceptable" growing space that gets about 3 hrs of direct sun... So with the help of my parents today I placed the order for my new green house. One which I will most likely never fill... But boy I'm gonna try!! So if you'd like to help, drop me a line
smile_m_32.gif
LOL It will be 8ft wide 10 ft tall and 16 ft long. It is going to be AWESOME! Below is the first picture of many during this process I'm sure. Last weekend we worked on cleaning the back yard. Along the fence is all the stuff we need to take to the dump this coming weekend. So for my first picture, a quick click of the space in the backyard where the green house will go.
smile.gif

backyard.jpg

Andrew

Awesomeness! Congrats! I hope you enjoy it.

10FT tall!!! I'm sorry mate but your gonna have to install a ladder. Really, though that's a gigantic greenhouse. good luck and keep us posted.

Zac

Fantastic! Lucky you! There's nothing better than a walk-in space where you can commune with your plants. Do post more pix once you get the thing rolling, er, growing, er...you know.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So with the help of my parents today I placed the order for my new green house. One which I will most likely never fill...

Guys, I'll bet an N.hamata that he fills it by the end of the year!
smile_n_32.gif

But, to coin a Clintonism, I guess it all depends on what the definition of "fill" is. I know someone who has their plants tidily arranged in their greenhouse with lots of walking space--to her, the greenhouse is filled. I also know someone who's greenhouse is so full that you can't even walk through 1/3 of it--he thanks God every day for automatic watering systems and believes the greenhouse is "almost" full!

So I guess it all depends on what part of the "its full" spectrum Andrew lies on.
smile_m_32.gif

I'm on the spectrum where it looks fairly busy, but you can get to and admire all the plants. I don't really care for the look of so full you can admire any particular plant at any given time....

10 ft tall is pretty tall, but for a g/h of this size, that's how they come. With the hot temps here in Tucson Arizona the high roof is nice because all the heat can go up there, away from my plants while the fogger and swamp cooler try to keep it cool enough.

Oh, and chloroplast- I take your bet... See you in one year. LOL jking

Hoooooweeeeeee! Call TongBoy! I'll bet there are some snakes out there!!

Congratulations! Now you can grow some REAL CPs instead of those lil' "faux desert" plants you have now.
smile_n_32.gif

I'm kiddin'! You grow great plants and now you can grow even more! Then when you are overflowing, you can send the excess to me.
biggrin.gif

Have fun!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Oh, and chloroplast- I take your bet... See you in one year. LOL jking

Well, if you fill it up, I guess you wouldn't have room for that N.hamata!
smile_n_32.gif

And if you don't fill it up.....well, let's just say I have plenty of room on my new grow rack for another nice plant!
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ Oct. 18 2005,12:11)]10 ft tall is pretty tall, but for a g/h of this size, that's how they come.
Mine is 15 ft long, almost 8 wide and also ten feet tall (in the middle of the arc. (see my sig)
You're right, the higher, the cooler. Are you going to build a round roof like this, then?

And as to the filling rate: when my plants moved into the g/h in June, it was half full, and I thought the house would last another year. Now it's 8/10ths full, and I'm already contemplating more shelves. Of course, I've collected plants like there's no tomorrow, but plants also grow. Just last week, I had to repot my two bicals into something like seven-gallon pots. And they won't be the last ones...

Hahahaha hamata is highland anyway isn't it? I can't grow highlands.. only lowlands. Thanks for you kind offer though.
smile_m_32.gif

Yes hans, 10 ft at the peak....

Nature doesn't like an empty greenhouse.

Well, it came in today :-D It all came on one pallet which made it very nice... After Unpacking I found 8 boxes...
ghboxes.jpg

I went ahead and opened box #1 to get the instructions and video out to view them and was surprised to find parts already put together!!!
ghinbox1.jpg

I think this is gonna be even easier than I thought.
smile_m_32.gif
Another thing I found interesting, they give you a disposable camera and a prepaid envolope to take pictures and send to them, they will put them online for you... And I think if they use some of them for their magazine you get 35 bucks toward purchase of an assessory... Sweeeeeet hehe I might do it for fun, But i'll stick to my digital camera for the REAL pictures.
smile_m_32.gif

So now I gotta get the weed prevention cloth stuff, gravel, and level out the area and we're ready to start!!!
A very excited Andrew
smile_m_32.gif

Man, good for you
smile.gif
. I pray that I'll be able to have just a small greenhouse someday.

Mail-order greenhouse? An instruction video for assembly? Now I've seen everything. Here in Taipei, I had to troll a dozen local nurseries until I found one who put me in contact with a freelancing greenhouse builder who was willing to take the risk of building a greenhouse on top of a typhoon-swept garage. No easy prefab stuff for me to put up myself, no sireebob, instead I had two betelnut-munching guys practically living on top of my garage for a week...

You 'murkins don't know how good you have it
smile_m_32.gif

LOL, yeah- for the most part i do Hans... I dont' know how easy every member of this board knows we have it... As this green house come from the company that hosts these forums! I got the biggest one, but there are many sizes for those who dont' have this much space or need for a big one... Check it out... petflytrap.com green houses We started assembly tonight.. Will get pictures tomorrow.. we only worked on it for 1.5 hrs and got the base together, laid out the weed prevention fabric, and build the 7 trussels.... sweeeeeeet :-D
Andrew

WEED PREVENTION FABRIC? Jiminy H. Cricket, this is getting better by the minute! If I need weed prevention, I have to borrow my neighbor's sheep, or, if they're unavailable, his flamethrower!

What's next - individual bug feeding gadgets for every plant?
Diamond-encrusted pruning shears?

Keep us updated - I love this unfolding story! The excitement!
We all tremble with you, I'm sure!

Hans

Haha, I'm afraid a flamethrower will get me tossed in jail, and i dn't have a permit to have sheep at the house... I gotta stick with the 20 bucks for 3 ft by 100 ft of that stuff... I was able to double layer it
smile_n_32.gif
It seems to me you think all this stuff is "unnessasary" and you might be right... Just like when we just had our baby about 6 weeks ago, our parents told us all the cool stuff we had goten were "a waste" but then, agreed that they were very handy... So with advanced times comes advanced items to make our lives easier... With my enviroment being soo dry (living in the desert) my 6 GPH fogger runs alot. Thus keeping the ground wet... Also, if you can notice in the picture, we are sitting the g/h where there was active grass growing... we are hoping the fabric can keep it at bay come spring so we don't gotta use RoundUP or soemthing...
Andrew

EDIT: Also, the fabric will help prevent the 1 ton of pea gravel we are getting from mixing with the dirt to make some yucky mud to walk in....

I want to grow CPs in my g/h... not deal with weeds... aparently, ozzy didn't want to deal with the weeds either, but he also didn't take any preventions....
gh10ip.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ Oct. 27 2005,12:59)]It seems to me you think all this stuff is "unnessasary" and you might be right...
Hell, no - far from that! I'm just dark green with envy! I love gadgets, and you certainly got yourself some high-tech arrangement there. Those gadgets might be unnecessary for me over here, but lemme tell you, if I had access to (and the moolah to buy) all that stuff, I would, in a heartbeat!

Congratulations on the baby, by the way! Man, this must be one of the best years of your life. More envy!
smile.gif

Hans

Back