Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 50gal bog/woodland terrarium

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Ok over the next few wks im gona be working on a 50gal bog/woodlan terrarium, i have a odd shaped TruVu acrylic fish tank that im converting to this. Now many ideas have ran thru my pea brain as to how im gona set it up and all the things im gona use.
    1. Gona cut a plexigalss floor/pannel to fit the inside dimensions so that i can raise it about 3 1/2 or so inches it will have suports to hold everything im gona load on top of it, its gona have holes cut to fit and plant pots/sizes that im gona use so they sit down far enough in the precut holes but not touch the bottom under the floor pannel.
    2. Under the floor pannel im gona use Perlite mixed with a small amount of charcol as most of the space under the pannel is gona be distilled water and it will help keep it sweet smelling but leave enough space so that small trays can be under the plant pots.
    3. The plants will be in pots so that if i need to remove the plant for any known reason i can easily slip the whole pot out without disterbing anything else, the pots them selfs will sit alittle above the cut holes so that i can get peat, natural live moss and other decorations in to fill around them. There will be Sundews and VFTs at one end then a running waterfall in the middle and on the other side will be small low growing tropical plants, im gona have some wood and rock decorations, i will be choosing my wood carefully as i know what will mold and what wont. I am thinking of also putting some cork bark in the back and attaching some air plants to it or can do the same thing with a vine.
    4. Lights consist of 4 to 6 flourescent 48 inch, 2 or 3 daylight cool white 3050 lumens each and 2 or 3 plantlight 1900 lumens each, now so far i got 4, 2 of each kind i can go to 6 not sure yet till i have it all set up.
    5. im gona leave it as a open top due to all the water and humidity going on in it, plus the humidity in my house is at 75% due to all my house plants that i have. But i can easily cover the top as this tank does have a 2 1/2 inch lip top.
    6. Gona foil as much as i can it does have a natural black back to it which would show the plants and everything nicely.
    7. for good air exchange i could use a tiny fan or something else.
    By any chance has anyone used the mini foggers that slip into a waterfall?? If so does it help or work good? As i can always get one and use it to. I will get plans drawed up tomarrow so that you can get a good idea of what im talking about and then take pics as i put it all together. Wish me luck i know its gona look awsome when done and all plants will thrive nicely in it. Just figured i would share my newest project with everyone.. I will keep posting in this thread as i go along till its completed. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's quite an undertaking, far removed from my simplistic "ghetto look" of window sills and pipette dispenser containers and yogurt cups!

I look forward to the finished product and the pics!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok quick Q's, would it be ok for me to get a selection of dews for my 50gal like the one on this link thats the subtropical?? Or maybe the Cape sundew collection with a few other diffrent ones added in the order?
    http://www.********************.com/collections.shtml
    Do you all think this is to expensive??
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know where you can get them for free, except maybe for $3.85 postage: Your new found forum friends! That is how I have built up my collection. I started with Home Depot, Lowes, and the like, spending $4-$10 on common plants (D. spatulata, adelae, capensis, S. leucophylla, 'Danas Delight', rubra, Cobra lily, P. primulifora, N. ventrata, sanguinea,...) and then I discovered the CP Tradng Post and went muts in accumulating seeds and plants. BigCarnivourKid was my first victim and now ongoing online friend, supplying me with D. scorpioides gemmae. Copper became a trading partner... WickedThistle, Glenn, Elgecko, JBL, and many more.

So, if you're interested, feel free to send me a PM and I'll send you a starter kit of sundews and bladderworts, etc... for just the postage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently use a mini fogger for my set up, and it works wonderfully. Just make sure you have enough air circulation though, otherwise the mist will simply sit at the bottom of the set up where it's least useful.
    I'll post about my fogger set up when I have more time and pics.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 22 2005,6:21)]I know where you can get them for free, except maybe for $3.85 postage: Your new found forum friends! That is how I have built up my collection. I started with Home Depot, Lowes, and the like, spending $4-$10 on common plants (D. spatulata, adelae, capensis, S. leucophylla, 'Danas Delight', rubra, Cobra lily, P. primulifora, N. ventrata, sanguinea,...) and then I discovered the CP Tradng Post and went muts in accumulating seeds and plants. BigCarnivourKid was my first victim and now ongoing online friend, supplying me with D. scorpioides gemmae. Copper became a trading partner... WickedThistle, Glenn, Elgecko, JBL, and many more.

So, if you're interested, feel free to send me a PM and I'll send you a starter kit of sundews and bladderworts, etc... for just the postage.
    OMG!! jimscott, i am so touched that you all are so kind enough to want to help me.. Thats way way to sweet of you... Thanks jimscott!! I PM'd yaz.. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

shokuchuu, thanks for the fogger input, i will try and get one to put in the waterfall and use a tiny fan of some sort to help push the air. I would love to see your setup and pics of the fogger in use.. Thanks tons!!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

I wana make this terrarium perfect befour adding any delicate plants to it. I apreciate everyones info and help Thank you all!!!
    www.nmacdt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]its gona have holes cut to fit and plant pots/sizes that im gona use so they sit down far enough in the precut holes
    What will happen when the plants are repotted into larger pots?

As for the rest, it sounds great and very interesting. I also agree that it'd probably be better to keep the top off given all of the water that'll be in the tank (which should provide more than enough humidity if you're planning on growing the more common dews and nep species). A fan may not be necessary if you keep the lid open, but it wouldn't hurt to get a small fan anyway. As for the lights, I think 4 4' lights will be enough assuming the plants are placed close to them (within 12").

Keep us posted on your progress, and good luck.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks chloroplast, as soon as i have a few hrs to myself insted of being so darn busy with everything around here i will get the plans drawn up and post um, but as far as the plant pots go if and when they do need bigger pots i can pull and replace the botton pannel, as for the water under the pannel in the perlite charcol mix its not gona be that deep, and i can replace it with fresh distilled water when needed or tap it up from a space im gona create in the back side of the terrarium. Im gona have this all set so that not only will it be as good as i can get it as far as natural conditions go but for ease of maintance as well. Im not putting any plants in it till i know its just right and ready. Im gona be busy tomarrow but hopefully by wensday evenning i will have the plans drawn up and posted. Im hoping to get some simple sundews and also have few VFTs and then have few tiny tropical plants in this terrarium when its all finished.
    www.nmacdt.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast