Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you feed seedlings?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (*Barracuda_45* @ Oct. 23 2005,7:39)]If you can use fish food or FD bloodworms can ya do the same with FD brime shrimp, Krill or even daphnia?
    What stood out to me, and I am only piecing advice together, is that brine shrimp and krill may have salt in it and that could be a potential problem. Not that it couldn't be rinsed welll...

Ron brings up another good point in that food that lands on the soil will at nutrients to the soil and that could lead to algae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried daphnia on butterworts and didn't get the same kind of response as the blood worms. The bloodworms dissolve in digestive juices, but the daphnia just sat there. There must be something that the butterworts didn't like.

[/QUOTE]I ground up some dried bloodworms and gave one of the plants some on one arm/trap. The difference in growth rate was astounding.[QUOTE]

I've seen seedlings reach maturity and flower within one season.

Brian

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 24 2005,6:56)]
    Quote[/b] (*Barracuda_45* @ Oct. 23 2005,7:39)]If you can use fish food or FD bloodworms can ya do the same with FD brime shrimp, Krill or even daphnia?
    What stood out to me, and I am only piecing advice together, is that brine shrimp and krill may have salt in it and that could be a potential problem. Not that it couldn't be rinsed welll...

Ron brings up another good point in that food that lands on the soil will at nutrients to the soil and that could lead to algae
    Thank you jimscott, thats good advice as pertaining to the salt content in the Krill and shrimp. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

As for fish food droping on the soil it seems it would mold quickly if its wet, i know this dont pertain to CP's but when my land hermit crabs get food all over the ground media it quickly molds/gets fungus and i have to remove it fast, so it seems it would do the same thing on the soil of CP's.
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call me crazy but I feed my sundew seedlings with bloodworms yesterday and I can already tell a differance. Wow, and *Barracuda_45* I'm gonna try feeding a portion of my sundews with red flaky fish food to see if they color up. Takahashi, I also will leave a portion of them alone with no food to see how they turn out.

-Rail
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ Oct. 23 2005,2:17)]But if thats the case, why do they start making carnivorus leaves so early in life? I thought plants needed light, water, air, and nutrients to survive, but since LFS prolly has little to none they have to make carnivorus leaves early in life to make up for it. I did find that one of the sundews grabbed hold of something in the LFS but it's way to small for me to tell if it's a bug or not. All four of it's tentacles are meeting at a point off the leaf so maybie it got something [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

-Rail
    it dosn't matter. the reason they are green at all and not white or yellow or somthing is becasue they go thru photosythesis. sunlight is needed for this .so even the CP trape-like leaf is meant to eat bugs, because it is green it has to be going thru photosythesis. it just must get extra nutrition thru bugs. try findin really high grass and look at the base and roots of it. often, they are discolored and not very green becasue they dont get enough sunlight.
    Quit reading my mind!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nutrition facts of goldfish flakes, from the back of the label...

crude protien -34%
    crude fat -4%
    Crude fiber -4%
    moisture -4%
    ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) -200mg/kg

how can this be compared to the diet of CPs in Nautre?
    ex.) nutritnal facts of a flies
    Quit reading my mind!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to consider is that what we provide is an approximation of what happens in nature. We aren't duplicating indigeonous conditions, outside of people growing Darlingtonia or Sarracenia, etc... in their backyard, near where they normally grow. What I'm getting at is that rain washed away dead material and provides cleansing that we don't in our setups. Dead material, algae, and mold aren't a problem in nature (generally speaking). With ours, we have be more proactive. It's similar to tropical fish and ich or bacterail infections that wipeout fishtanks. It doesn't happen in the Amazon Basin or the ocean. So if fishfood lands on the media, we have to deal with it. If it landed in a bog, it wouldn't be a problem.

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CopcarFC, let me know how it goes with the red food flake feeding oh and by the way please if anyone uses fish food or of the sort make sure theres no Ethoxyquin or BHA as these are dangerous chemicals if it can harm our much loved pets it can probably harm the live plants as well...

losfreddy, flies have protien, crude fat, there not much of a soucre of fiber thats for sure but are loaded with moisture and some vitamin content not much though. So i dont see why feeding with a high quality fish food thats chemical and mineral/salt free that it wouldnt be good for our CPs, when in fact it could be very good for them and people just havent studied it enough to know for sure.
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast