Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you feed seedlings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I now have about 200 mixed sundews and Sarr's growing in a tray under CF lights in my room. The plants are much to small to feed by hand and if I could it would take forever. All of the Sarr's still are in the process of growing their first pitcher and the sundews are tiny with about 4 or 5 tentacles apiece. Should I worry about feeding them yet? If so, how?

-Rail
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leave'em alone, CCFC. They will do quite well without ANY interference. At this size, springtails are going to die in the hundreds!!!!!!!!!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the meantime, light and water are going a long way toward their growth and health. You might be surprised at what they may be catching on their own, that is small enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But is there really enough tiny bugs for them? Keep in mind they are in my room and I'm a neat freak.

-Rail
    My life sucks

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember, they are first a plant, and second a carnivoroous one. Light & water are their main source of what they need. If you're that concerned, bring one piece of fruit into your room and put it in a plastic container - and wait a few days. Really, I'm serious. I have exactly that going at the lab, right at the window sills. It works. I just tap the container and all these wonderful fruitflies jettison into the inviting sticky leaves of my sundews & butterworts!

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 23 2005,10:55)]Remember, they are first a plant, and second a carnivoroous one. Light & water are their main source of what they need. If you're that concerned, bring one piece of fruit into your room and put it in a plastic container - and wait a few days. Really, I'm serious. I have exactly that going at the lab, right at the window sills. It works. I just tap the container and all these wonderful fruitflies jettison into the inviting sticky leaves of my sundews & butterworts!
    I was wondering the same thing about such tiny micro seedlings since im new to this, but jimscott is right, Im a clean freak to but wow someone throws something into the garbage can and next thing ya know POOF out of no where the next day we have a few nats or fruit flies buzzin around the house, even in the coldest of winters i dont know where they come from. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is just a guess, but sense CPs are green, it means that they still go thru photosythesis with produces gluton? or somthing like that and makes them green. so im just assuming that tiny plants will be fine until they are big enough to start eating flies.
    Quit reading my mind!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But if thats the case, why do they start making carnivorus leaves so early in life? I thought plants needed light, water, air, and nutrients to survive, but since LFS prolly has little to none they have to make carnivorus leaves early in life to make up for it. I did find that one of the sundews grabbed hold of something in the LFS but it's way to small for me to tell if it's a bug or not. All four of it's tentacles are meeting at a point off the leaf so maybie it got something [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

-Rail
    My life sucks

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast