Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]how did you make the mini fogger as described in your post? is it just water with a air stone or somthing?
    Nope, it's this.

Cheap and quite efficient if I may say so myself. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

For the mushrooms, I used what small-time Psilocybe growers use: one part brown rice flour, one part vermiculite, and water. This worked nicely for some but not so much for others. It was all more experimental than anything else, but constant ciculating mist from the aforementioned gadget kept the pins nice and healthy, but not soaking wet.
    Phew, a little off-topic there [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I'll visit Maplin's tomorrow (a slightly larger equivalent of RadioShack here in the UK) to see what they offer in terms a CPU fan. As for the aluminium ducting, boy is it expensive here (like most things other than baked beans and fish & chips)! It was the first item on my shopping list but the price helped me reconsider.
    Payday tomorrow so I'll hopefully acquire a CPU fan and a good timer.

Cheers everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where can i buy one of those mist makers locally. did you get your online?
    Quit reading my mind!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (losfreddy @ Oct. 27 2005,7:19)]where can i buy one of those mist makers locally. did you get your online?
    Hi losfreddy
    Yes, I did buy mine online when living in the US, and coincidentally they sell the same exact model at that garden centre I work at (different transformer) here in the UK, in the aquatics department. You may try a store that sells "water features" (water garden furniture etc.).

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey folks
    After following Brian_W's recommendation, I bought a length of alumini(u)m ducting to provide better airflow. Well, it works, but some minor changes have to be made to maintain higher humidity at night, which might call for a technique I used in the past (secret [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] !)
    Below is a pic I took tonight of my new setup. Previously I had all my plants in a 19 gallon tank under less than 200W of compact fluorescents - they are now in a 63 gallon tank under a 400W high pressure sodium Grolux (which arrived today) and a single 42W cool white compact fluoro. I received approximately 15 plants the past week so the change was necessary to say the least! I took this as an opportunity to place my cacti/phorbs under the "sun" as well. Just as a sidenote, that is my desk they are all sitting on. Oh well - anything for plants!

Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice setup!

I like the mixing of CPs and cacti/succulents. You might want to place the cacti/succulents very close to the lights or you'll find they'll become severely etiolated. I love the lithops and pleiospilos....they're my favorite mesembs.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much was the light?

-Rail
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ Nov. 10 2005,2:12)]How much was the light?

-Rail
    Hi Rail
    If my memory serves me well, I bought it, including the bulb, at about $190. This was a deal I couldn't pass up on a 400W growlight. The Grolux that arrived was a new bulb, which cost 25 pounds sterling (excluding shipping).

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12