User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Milled sphagnum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is milled sphagnum as a growing medium?

I ran some LFS through a food processor yesterday, and found the resulting mix much spongier and less prone to compaction than peat as i flushed it through with water.

I mixed up about a gallon of medium that is 2:1:1 milled spagnum/peat/coarse quartz sand.

I have discovered, since I got a TDS meter, that the peat bale i was using was incredibly high in mineral content. After rehydrating, inital runoff water measured typically several hundred PPM.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's fantabulous, IMHO, especially for germinating Drosera seed(and other CP).
    Tamlin made the same discovery you did about peat(Where can you get a TDS meter that is not a POS like mine?) and soaks/rinses his peat very well before use.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Oct. 26 2005,12:32)](Where can you get a TDS meter that is not a POS like mine?)
    eBay.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking of making a mix of milled sphagnum, and mulched (i.e. - also run through food processor) pine needles. Coursely chopped, the needles should improve aeration, and provide acidity. Plus, it'll be a mix very similar to the pine/sphagnum fields where these plants often grow.

Perhaps a mix of 9:1 milled sphagnum/mulched pine needles.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use milled sphag to root all of my neps. I use it almost exclusively in my nep mixes (instead of LFS) and I have also used it in other cp (and orchid) mixes in place of some of the peat - mine is very high in TDS also (thank god for the cheap TDS meters now available!). The pine straw mix is an interesting idea.
    All proofs inevitably lead to propositions that have no proof. All things are known because we want to believe in them.

My Growlist updated with available trades and pictures - PM if interested