Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best vs. the best

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you look at bulbs.com, it calls this the "value brand" and shows the same image that Farmtek does. Farmtek calls their version of it "Valuetek" and like I said, they're using the identical image in their ad.

Chances are pretty good you're getting the same bulb at both places. THere aren't that many companies making CFL bulbs...you'd be surprised how few there really are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys,

Take it as you will, but I’ll just confirm Cap's comments....

Those 125W CF's are notoriously short lived in the circles I have come across. I'd steer well clear of them.

About 6-12 months ago they became quite popular as a cheaper alternative on marine aquariums here in Australia (I’m sure the same was in the US). Loads of people bought them (I ran one over a refugium) and I honestly don't know of one that did not fail shortly after.

Even the majority of the on-sellers stopped stocking them.

So even though their initial low cost may seem attractive…. As with so any things, if you just fork out for better quality gear to start with, it’ll cost you less in the long-run.

Most have now gone back to NO's (standard and overdriven) , T5's or just right up to metal halides/HPS.

AJ.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The brand I used lasted for over a year. One bulb blew out a couple of weeks ago, and the other is still going, aproaching 1.5 years in age. Pretty darn good if you get the better brand. You can't beat them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use 23 watt and 42 watt compact flourescents from Home Depot [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12