What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fstp's grow chamber thread

I intend to update this as the contrcution continues.

So far I'll I've built is the base of it and the four piller legs, I'd probly be more nearer to complettion but I was absent due to being sick (stupid germs)

so hes the base, its 8 foot by 4 foot. The chambered growing space itself will be 5 feet tall.

first picture; 4"x4" pillar legs. These are pressure treated for out door use. These will be the legs as well as the horizontal supports for teh top of teh chamber.

DCP_2010.jpg

second picture; 2"x4" framing for the bottom of the chamber itself.

DCP_2009.jpg

thrid picture; this is 3/4" treated ply wood which forms the bottom of the chamber.

DCP_2012.jpg

fourth picture; same as above but the underside

DCP_2013.jpg

fifth picture; showing how the pillar supports will feed through teh base of the chamber in turn supporting the top. Note that those are scrap 4x4 pieces and were there making everything is square.

DCP_2014.jpg

sixth picture; this is just a close up of how the pillars will be situated.

DCP_2015.jpg

so that it for now, I'll be updateing this as I work on it more and more.

when its all conrtucted it will be painted with several coats of marine epoxy paint. The expoxy paint compbined with teh fact that this wood has been treated for weathering will mak it very resistant to mositure and distortion.

Nice. I made a similar chamber. I used white greenhouse plastic to line the inside. It's reflective and easy to clean.

Update Nov 13th '05

2x4 supports for the side walls
DCP_2049.jpg

DCP_2050.jpg

how the walls attach to the bottom.
DCP_2051.jpg

walls and legs/support pillars going on nicely
DCP_2052.jpg

pillars attached with wood screws
DCP_2054.jpg

how is complete so far.
DCP_2056.jpg

DCP_2055.jpg

For scale there is a small 4" hanging basket pot in the center.

So what I have left is to get some more ply wood to finish the back. As youc an see they don't make plywood in 5 foot wide sections. So I have to buy plywood clips (little H shaped theings to join ply together).

then send teh measurements for the front pane of glass and door. It will be dual pane gass filled window glass.

Dang, that is so cool
smile.gif
I really want to build something like that someday. What kind of lighting will you use?

Well thats kinda up in teh air at teh moment I have a 400watt MH I'm using right now. But I'll porbly switch to two 600wat HPS for lighting

Wow that looks really cool cant wait to see it completly finished with plants in it...
smile.gif

now where would this go?!?!?! so big!

Back