User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: National mall arboretum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently visited the Arboretum at the National Mall. It had an absolutely spectacular collection of plants, most in great shape.

Unfortunately, I managed to find only 3 CPs in the entire collection--a VFT, S.purpurea, and unidentified nepenthes with every single pitcher dead. It would be great if a local CP society would setup and maintained a display there, even if totally voluntary. It would certainly increase public awareness and interest in CPs.....who knows, maybe it would go so far as to sway a politician to propose federal legislation that increases protection of native species. I realize it's wishful thinking, but who knows...

In all, it was a great place. My favorite plants were the 3' tall sago palm, a vanilla orchid, and a TREMENDOUSLY large staghorn fern.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty bad CP-wise. I go every time I'm wandering the mall. The last time I was there all the CPs were in a really shady area and were getting a lot of humidity but looked like they hadn't been watered in a while. You saw a different set of plants than I did... that may mean bad news for the plants I saw.

I've been wondering if I could just donate a cheap and showy nep to them and if they would listen to me if I suggested where to put it. If it was hanging up in the catwalk area it would probably grow like mad.

I also wish they had some elephant ears. How can you not put the largest undivided leaf on the planet in a place like that? A baby A. robusta is like $20!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]If it was hanging up in the catwalk area it would probably grow like mad.
    I agree. And they would look quite nice along with the orchids and air plants.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)