Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrarium humidity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I have a 10 gal. terrarium, and before, it had about 56 watts of light, and the humidity would stay around 60%-65%. But, now, I have got 82 watts, and the humidity goes down to 50%-55% or so, so I had to move the glass on the tank to raise the humidity, though it didn't do much, and my cape sundew is struggling to make as mcuh dew as in all those professional photos. I noticed that it makes more dew at night, but this is prolly 'cause the humidity goes up to 70%. Should I get an aquarium heater and stick it in a jar of water?

Many thanks,
    -Ben
    P.S. Though, all my other plants seem happy, and my cape sundew does, it's just that it tends to make the most dew on the outer edges of its leaves, not so much on all the inner parts.
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dews is just in my windowsill and they produce a lot of dew.
    I think that the humidity in your terrarium should stay up if o misted it once or twice a day.
    Need all the experience I can get...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright. Well, somehow, after I added a small comp. fan into the tank, the humidity went up (right now it is 'bout 65%, maybe going down slowly) and the temp seems to be going down.(just 2-3 degrees)
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Well, I have a 10 gal. terrarium, and before, it had about 56 watts of light, and the humidity would stay around 60%-65%. But, now, I have got 82 watts, and the humidity goes down to 50%-55% or so.....and my cape sundew is struggling to make as mcuh dew as in all those professional photos.
    This may be a temperature (not humidity) issue.

You significantly increased the lighting of your terrarium, which typically increases temperature. My drosera produce far less dew when temperatures get too high, and their dew production is much less affected by humidity.

So I would check the temperature of the terrarium and reduce it if it's too high.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It stays around 80-85 degrees fahrenheit. So, what do I do about this? Have the lights on stilts?
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or is the temp. fine? EDIT: Never mind. Read below:
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I think I have solved this annoying problem. Alright, here it goes: My fixture that is making the most heat has two 26 watt compacts. The fixture was designed to heat reptiles up. Here it is.
    It basically directs the heat down, which is where my cape sundew is, DIRECTLY below the light. Plus, my thermometer is in a corner away from the light, therefore not showing how hot it is around the cape sundew. Originally, someone recommended this to me, which distributes the heat & light, not directing it down onto one thing. But when I went to Petsmart to see if they had it, they didn't, so I had to wind up getting the fixture I have now. So, I think that if I get that fixture that was recommended to me, my cape sundew should be happier.

Do you guys think I'm right?
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dew is largely a function of lighting. Lotsa light = lotsa dew. While psychologically, we see dew on grass on the morning and associate it with water, CP dew isn't water. I'm still trying figure out what chemical compound(s) are involved with dew & "grease".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast