What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

heating a greenhouse

would using a NiPCo to heat a greenhouse work? or would it put off too much fumes/sot. to use? I would use diesel in it.

thanks

Brad

Not sure what type of heater that is. Do you have more information on that heater? I think you could vent the exhaust out you will be ok.
Jeff

well..its spelled Knipco. sry bout the spelling. the only way i can think to describe it is it kinda looks like a turbo engine on planes. it uses diesel or kerosene. u just plug it in and well..it lights up sucking air from one end and shooting heat out the other. we use it to heat up tractors and other vehicles that wont start and it is used in animal barns.

well heres a pic..its not a knipco but knipco is jsut the brand

p1233613reg.jpg

No way, fumes are a BIG no no. Only in emergency situations those should be used.

any advise as what to use..electric, propane?..

thanks

Brad

You would probably die (along with your plants) from the odorless gas Carbon monoxide if you tried to heat a greenhouse with one. Use a vented heater (nat gas/propane) or if a small greenhouse might get away with electric but can be $$$ depending on you electric rates.
I saw someone that used a massive compost pile to generate heat (compost can be 160-180F) in Nebraska or North Dakota and pumped the heat into the greenhouse using a loop system. The guy grew oranges using that system. The smell might turn off neighbors if you live in an urban area though.

Kirk
Fitchburg Mass.

You could try a really big aquarium heater in a large vessel of water; that's how I warmed my terrarium for a while (now I use a seedling heat mat.)
~Joe

We use a couple of these in our house:

2067-m.jpg

I dunno if it'll work for you, though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Dec. 07 2005,8:19)]You could try a really big aquarium heater in a large vessel of water; that's how I warmed my terrarium for a while (now I use a seedling heat mat.)
~Joe
This sounds like the best reason ever to buy a greenhouse and a hut tub at the same time.

You shouldn't need a reason to buy a hot tub. ;)
~Joe

How big is your greenhouse? What's the max temp in the greenhouse and the lowest temp out side? I wood go with Gas, if you can run a gas line to the greenhouse or propane. Some heaters go both ways. They are Cheaper and more effective then electric heater.
Jeff

Back