What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small Air Cooler

I think some of my highland plants are showing heat stress.  I grow them on a wire shelf with lights above.  I have an ultrasonic humidifier with a fan that circulates the air and maintains humidity at ~85%.  Is there some small ac unit or some other device that I can get that will cool just one shelf? How do other people grow highlanders inside?
Thanks,
NickZ

My highlands are growing indoors on shelved growracks, 4" under 160W cool white fluorescent tubes (14h photoperiod). They are together in plastic tubs, resting above a layer of moist pebbles. A aluminum-lined plastic liner covers the top and sides of the growrack. Two 20W PC fans blow air out of the growrack. A warm-air humidifier runs during the months I heat my home. In the spring and summer months, day/night temps are 75-85F/65-75F. In the fall and winter months, day/night temps are 65-75F/60-65F. Humidity is between 50-70% year-round. My highland neps produce new pitchers under these conditions.

Hope this helps.

I have a fan sucking outside air through an open window into my highland - the cool air circulates the mist made by a fogger which simualtes a cold fog or mist, thus condensation occurs on the plants. It's cheap and efficient considering I get night temps of 48F - 56F.
Cheers

Back