User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Small Air Cooler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think some of my highland plants are showing heat stress. I grow them on a wire shelf with lights above. I have an ultrasonic humidifier with a fan that circulates the air and maintains humidity at ~85%. Is there some small ac unit or some other device that I can get that will cool just one shelf? How do other people grow highlanders inside?
    Thanks,
    NickZ
    It's like walking out a door and discovering it's a window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My highlands are growing indoors on shelved growracks, 4" under 160W cool white fluorescent tubes (14h photoperiod). They are together in plastic tubs, resting above a layer of moist pebbles. A aluminum-lined plastic liner covers the top and sides of the growrack. Two 20W PC fans blow air out of the growrack. A warm-air humidifier runs during the months I heat my home. In the spring and summer months, day/night temps are 75-85F/65-75F. In the fall and winter months, day/night temps are 65-75F/60-65F. Humidity is between 50-70% year-round. My highland neps produce new pitchers under these conditions.

Hope this helps.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a fan sucking outside air through an open window into my highland - the cool air circulates the mist made by a fogger which simualtes a cold fog or mist, thus condensation occurs on the plants. It's cheap and efficient considering I get night temps of 48F - 56F.
    Cheers