What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo Thread!

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
My frog friend that comes to visit me on my 3rd story porch:
11.jpg

4.jpg

My outdoor grow area, mid-summer '05:
15.jpg

And the inside of my miniature greenhouse around the same time:
16.jpg

Just to give you an idea of how much space I'm working with:
61.jpg

What's that metal hoobajoop, you ask? It's my new homemade greenhouse!
39.jpg

Greenhouse going up: (DIY instructions to follow...)
20.jpg

Happy plants!
28.jpg

~Joe

Have you ever seen the frog climbing up the house? That would be a kinda neat thing to see

I've seen it bailing off the balcony into a tree, so I assume it knows what it's doing, coming and going. I'm pretty sure it's the same one, 'cuz whenever I catch it and check, it has the same spotting on it's neck and thighs (I did amphibian surveys in my freshman year ecology class.)
I started this thread because the old one got buried! Let's see pics! My terrarium and indoor racks to come.
~Joe

Nice collection of sarrs....they do look happy.

You know, two of my three CP grow racks are EXACTLY the type in picture #5. Got them for $15 at Lowes and they're worth every penny.

I like your DIY greenhouse.....looks like you could store all of your water jugs&pots under the greenhouse table, which would free up all the shelves of the growrack for even more CPs!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chloroplast @ Dec. 08 2005,5:38)]You know, two of my three CP grow racks are EXACTLY the type in picture #5. Got them for $15 at Lowes and they're worth every penny.

I like your DIY greenhouse.....looks like you could store all of your water jugs&pots under the greenhouse table, which would free up all the shelves of the growrack for even more CPs!
You know, there were two reasons to build the new one - one was to keep the birds and squirrels out of stuff, and two was because the little one was about to collapse. They're nice, but don't trust the ones with flimsy plastic joints. They're made to hold flower pots, not trays of water. The big PVC ones by Gro-Pro are pretty good but the parts on mine weren't nearly as sturdy. Some of the parts bent out of shape and I threw them out. I use the remaining parts as risers for my pots. I've saved the greenhouse cover and I'm going make a new frame for it from the same electrical conduit I made the greenhouse out of.
And yes, I do store a bunch of stuff under that table. The whole thing (table and greenhouse) works as a raincatch which empty into two 20-gallon bins - also the big stacks of pots you can see have been fit (mostly) under the table.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Dec. 08 2005,7:31)]Let's see pics! My terrarium and indoor racks to come.
~Joe

I guess that means you want us to show you some pics of our stuff? Well, here's a fuzzy, low quality pic of my terrarium!

tank.jpg

Believe me, it is much brighter than how it looks in the pic.

Here's my setup, to celebrate the end of 2005!

Here's all three of my grow chambers:

CPsTuckerandbackyardpictures043.jpg

CPsTuckerandbackyardpictures044.jpg

CPsTuckerandbackyardpictures046.jpg

Here's all three levels of my grow rack:

CPsTuckerandbackyardpictures047.jpg

CPsTuckerandbackyardpictures048.jpg

CPsTuckerandbackyardpictures049.jpg

Less than a month to go until 2006! Whoo hoo! Bring on the CPs!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They're nice, but don't trust the ones with flimsy plastic joints.

That's a valid point and the drawback to their cost. I have to put my tubs of U.gibba on the bottom rack because of this issue. My third and most recently bought CP growrack is made of metal (cost more) and is sturdier.

Drosera36 & Mitch: Nice terraria! Drosera36, let me guess....the aquarium bowl is holding aldrovanda and the glass cup is holding genlisea?....I have no way of telling from the pic but I just wanted to guess.

Mitch, what can I say but that you really have an eye for terrarium setups! Absolutely spectacular.

Thank you too, chloroplast. Actually, I was originally sowing the seeds of D. spathulata 'Hong Kong' onto the cup, though they never germinated. The bowl hasn't got anything in it quite yet; I'm letting it settle a bit. cphog is sending me a U. gibba plant which I will put in.

-Ben

OK, I didn't want to bog down the last page with more big pics, because I don't know how to get this thing to do thumbnail links.
Here's my highland tank, shot length-wise - the Cephalotus lives on its own little 'tupperware tepui' to keep it out of the water at the bottom of the terrarium and closer to the lights:
49.jpg

The lowlanders from one side... not a very good pic:
53.jpg

Some of my rack, featuring my camera's poor automatic white-balance: (Don't you enjoy the lovely blue color of the cups?)
52.jpg

The Drosera and other short stuff is really close to the lights, so it was hard to get good pics... when I'm done repotting and shuffling things around I'll take some better ones:
43.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

48.jpg

And some of my big'uns:
42.jpg

40.jpg

And this is just my lit rack! The rest of the apartment is covered in houseplants, but my roommate is a slob so I don't want to take pictures of it. :)
~Joe

PS - Nice pics guys. Mitch, I want to know how you keep your terrariums so clean. ;)

Amazing looking setup and plants Joe! I'm very envious
smile.gif

As for how I keep my terrariums clean...I think I'm just a neat freak. No other way to explain it!

By the way, I love that tupperware full of Cape Sundews
cool.gif

heres my grow shelf i made..

outside
IMG_1122.jpg

front open on top shelf
IMG_0744.jpg

i hope u like..

thanks

Brad

Great looking setup Brad! I wish I was handy enough to make something like that
smile_n_32.gif

I think I'm gonna make something like that... been wanting to for some time... thing is last time I done some work with powertools, I cut off the tips of two fingers on left hand (it happened Nov 7, 2005
smile.gif
) ...never happened before
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Im still not quite able to use them, but I wanna make something similar more with every passing day... I think I might in a couple of weeks... or just go to the store and buy a shelf for $20...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]cphog is sending me a U. gibba plant which I will put in.

I think you'll like U.gibba. It's almost like the capensis of the utric world--they're hard to kill, look very nice, and multiply like weeds!

Nice plants seedjar
biggrin.gif
. Awesome extrema, leopard !
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Hey LLeopardGGecko can you post a close up of the fish bowl? What are the specs of the light and the soil?

-Rail

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hey LLeopardGGecko can you post a close up of the fish bowl? What are the specs of the light and the soil?

Sure. I'll do it a little later once I get back from my World Music final.

Back