What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dimka

Sundewist
Alright guys, here it is.
My classic terrarium is about 28-30C, so I was wondering if this is too high for D. Binata (I'm only growing them there till they are about 2"), D. Nidiformis, D capensis, venusta, aliciae, and capillaris? I know its too much for adelae - looks dry as hell with tiiiiiny beads of dew, binatas and nidiformis look a bit dry too (tiny dew droplets). So I was wondering if its too much or should I lower it? Or will they do better when they grow up?
Thanks.

thats fine for all of them as long as you respect dormancy for the ones that need it.

My D. adelae does more than fine with temps up in the high 90's in summer every day, so i don't like it's the temperature. your plants are probably just adjusting. D. adelae needs really pure water or else it will go downhill, IME

Do your Adelaes have dew? Mine are doing fine, just no dew... same with other dews... however they make quite a bit of it at 20C...
So you think they're just adjusting? I'll try this for one week i think, if they still look bad, I'll try something... or should I wait longer than a week?
Thanks

Except for D. venusta, unless my D. cocciacaulis can be considerd as such, I have all those plants and they have all experienced and lived through temps in the 90's, whether they were nside or outside.

When I tried my 'temperate terrarium' for the summer, my D. adelae did ok in there, but not great. Some dew, not a lot. Slow growth. Once I got it out of the terrarium and onto the counter with room humidity it did better. It started growing and reproducing rapidly, and had lots of dew. Same temps, just better air circulation and lower humidity, really.

A few have 'played possum' and died back a bit. I noticed the dieback tended to occur (for me anyhow) after said plant began producing plantlets. All have generated new growth from the roots a fairly short time after I removed the plantlets. I wonder if it is a natural response to allow plantlets to mature (plantlets grow in a ring, and central mother plant dies back to allow sunlight to multiple offspring?)??

Only really lost one the whole time, to a cat that felt it had to see what these weird plants were (and boy, did the cat look dumb running around the house with a sundew stuck to its face!). And even that plant is growing new leaves from the roots left in the pot.

yep. my plants have a lot of dew. just leave it alone for a month and water with distilled or rain. i also find they do best in pure LFS. in fact, i can't get them to grow in anything but that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i also find they do best in pure LFS.

dido to that! I use it for almost everything.

I just had an epiphany... all I had to do was turn my light monster 90 degrees, so it would be perpendicular to the terrarium... temperature dropped immediately to 26, humidity is nice (terrarium got plexiglass cover with holes), and the plants still get a lot of light (4 out of 7 light bulbs), and the 3 light bulbs that are not immediately over terrarium still give light to planys inside throught the only uncovered side of my little ecosystem plus also flooding with light half of my table... perfect for about 10 more pots to be placed right next to terrarium
smile_k_ani_32.gif
which Im doing as we speak
smile.gif

Results are amazing. All the dews in terrarium are very "hairy", dewy, and shiny. Way cool!!!
When the seeds turn to plants and grow up a bit, I'll post a pic... because there is nothing to see yet but a forest of baby binatas (in a mini yogurt cup, so I wouldnt have to dig them out when time copes to put them in pots outside the terrarium), nidiformis, 5 baby intermedias (can anyone tell me how that happened?), and 8 adelae (2 monts ago there was just 1 lol)

Thanks a ton guys. Really appreciate it.

I'm just wondering, since you guys were kinda on the topic, but, does D. venusta mind temps around 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit?

-Ben

No idea, as mine are only seeds that have not germinated yet
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]5 baby intermedias (can anyone tell me how that happened?)

Spontaneous generation! Anyone who doesn't believe in it obviously doesn't own CPs!

Thing is I used a fresh peat moss out of a bag when making by terrarium...
Oh well, I love intermedia anyway, and it seems to love me
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Spontaneous generation! Anyone who doesn't believe in it obviously doesn't own CPs!

Hahaha, so true, so true. I swear, every time I go to look at my CPs I find a new seedling that just decided to pop up.

...And thats why we love them!!!

And JimScott is certainly a true-believer after his "immaculate germination" of drosophyllum!

Jim, I'm sure you're getting a chuckle if you're reading this! hehe.

Back