What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growth updates

• Thread starter fudog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    dews
So yeah cheack out the pics let me know what you think.

Bunny Hordes
bunnyhordes3sy.jpg

Beer Wah
dburmaniiibeerwahsprouts5qe.jpg

family shot
familyshot6om.jpg

dews progress
dewsprogress2cy.jpg

utrics progress
utricsprogress1ou.jpg

growth
growth1kp.jpg

S Atala sprouts
satalasprouts6ol.jpg

S Atala another
satalaanother2qg.jpg

Do you have moss on the bottom of your plastic tub? That looks like a good idea.

Looking good! I was wondering about the moss as well. Your approach looks incredibly like mine!

Yes Ive been using LFS I do have some living in there and runners from about 6 or 7 different utrics too:p I'm supposed to get a 30 gal long aquarium in the next 3 weeks or a month. Ill be making a plywood lid to mount my lights and fan. I going to make some planters to display the roots on the utrics also. I'll post some pics when im done.

Thx for the replys

Good looking plants you have there!

Jerry

Great looking plants. I especially love your Utrics and your Forked Leaf Sundew!

Jim: Seems like you aren't the only one who uses purple growing containers
smile_m_32.gif

Great looking plants!

What's in the wine glass?....a utric?

smile_k_ani_32.gif
You guessed it
smile_n_32.gif
 U. subulata and U. livida
but the livida has died out i think. The reason for growing in the wine glass was for my wife to take it to the office with her. Im still waiting for it to fill in more. Its growing slow and Im concidering useing some 1/6 or 1/8 str orchid fert on it to see if it will perk up.???

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You guessed it U. subulata and U. livida

So, what's my prize?!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The reason for growing in the wine glass was for my wife to take it to the office with her. Im still waiting for it to fill in more.

What medium is it in (looks like some sort of peat:sand mix). I tried growing my utrics and genlisea in glasses (with a peat:sand mix) and found that many grow much faster in good-draining containers with pure LFS. You might want to try this until you have enough to transfer to the glass. Just a thought....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Its growing slow and Im concidering useing some 1/6 or 1/8 str orchid fert on it to see if it will perk up.???

I'm a big fan of using fertilizer on some CPs (and use it on my utrics), but I'd be cautious about doing this, especially if the utric is growing slow. You'll almost certainly spray some fertilizer on the surface which will promote the growth of algae and moss which, in turn, could overwhelm the utrics. You'd have to stay on top of this before it gets out of control. Alternately, you could try feeding them a cup of daphnia which would avoid the algae/moss issue.

I'd also give the plants as much light as possible.'

You've got some really nice plants! Good luck.

Hmmm a prize.......
smile_r_32.gif

Well Id give you one of our CP mulcher cats but the wife would get mad im sure lol.
smile_m_32.gif

yes it was a 50/50 peat sand mix in the glass. When i got the plug it had both utrics growing in it, and it was planted in a 50/50 mix. So i just added more mix with some dried/alive lfs around the top. The subulata thats growing in there now has put out 2 flower scapes with buds but no flowers. Also the buds look like the flowers will be white is that normal?? I've only seen yellow flowers on subulata. Im not getting much growth at all in the peat mix. I figured out that the utrics love to grow right into my LFS around all the pots. So when i switch to the root showing pots (elgecko design 1/2 cup) im going to switch to the LFS with some peat mix in the center. Im transplanting all my utrics to that type of pot and my Genlisea.
When i do the switch I'll replant the wine glass with LFS and a new subulata plug cause i got extra (big surprise)  
smile_n_32.gif

Now on feeding them I was wondering if i can still find daphnia in the waters with it being so cold out right now. I have a small water way right off my back patio. Its only 4' deep and like 6' across. But its full of life ie; bass/carp/bluegill/crappie/catfish/crawdads/bullfrogs/turtles/mallard-muscovie-wood ducks/night heron but no vegatation at all. I've checked the water in the spring and summer for bugs (styrocup method)cause i fly fish in there for bluegill and carp. I know theres alot of bugs then but i havent checked since it got cold and started raining.

Oh and i got a 65w flurex and 3 20w grow floro's. Its around 8,000 lumens in the box.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif

smile_m_32.gif

smilie4.gif

Back