What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new grow shelf

Was cold out so we built it inside... Now I have saw dust every were...

1 Shelf, there are 2 more just like it.

The shelf unit finished - Looks crooked, it probably is, but not that bad.

And finally, full of plants.

Total build time, 4-5 hours. While drinking, and entertaining my buddies kid. 2 people working on it, and a kid getting in the way.
Oh yeah, we also stopped to light some fireworks..

Great job Gawd! Want to build me one?
smile_n_32.gif

I'm seriously challenged when it comes to building anything, so I stick with store-bought items only. Hahaha!

Sure, but you gotta pay for shipping...

If not more, It probably weighs close to 100 pounds.

2x4's were over kill, the next time I build one, it'll be with 2x2's. (some wishfull thinking) I still have one shelf to fill on this one. I need to buy the lights for that shelf yet as well, but it's nice to have everything off the floor.

Gawd_oOo,

Nice shelf. Your approach is similar to mine. Mine is made out of 2x4 also and it is heavy!

LLeopardGGecko,

It is not challanging to build a simple shelf. I'm certainly not the most gifted person with tools either. I focus on two things: function, and the end product has to be sturdy. It may not be the most attractive thing in the world, but if it works, I'm happy.

My motto is: if it wiggles, keep adding screws until it stops wiggling.

Very nice shelf!

Thanx, guys.

I was thinking of covering the 4 sides with plastic (that clear stuff you shrink onto the windows in winter), but leaving the top open.The front would just drape down, I could fold or roll it up for access to the plants. I am thinking that would raise the humidity some, possibly temp as well.
Any one try something like that, and care to share the results?

Hey, if you're going to line the sides with anything, why not use mylar? That way you'll get greatly increased light on your plants AND preserve humidity.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My motto is: if it wiggles, keep adding screws until it stops wiggling.

That made me laugh out loud - literally! Funny stuff
smile_n_32.gif
It does make sense though. However, I bet even with that motto I'd still manage to screw something up (no pun intended).

i used 2 by 6's on my plant shelf..lol.i had 5 guys on the top shelf with my shop teacher also on it..lol..i dont liked spending money to make/buy something and it breaks the next day. so i build and buy about everything ford tough

thanks

Brad

Ford tough? Did you use rotten 2x6's?
smile_n_32.gif

lol..i knew someone wold say something about that..lol

thanks

BRad

I agree with Capslock regarding using mylar.  Mylar reflects about 95-98% of the light.  It will greatly increase the efficiency of your lights.  I just bought a 50ft roll of it for $25.  I line the back and sides, but leave the top and front open. I don't worry about humidity for sundews, pings, and bladderworts.  

Brian

Hey Brian, where do you buy your Mylar? I've never been able to find it anywhere...

Leopard Gecko,

Anyplace that sells hydroponic supplies has mylar.  I noticed you lived in California, so I did a search on google and came up with this:
mylar source

You can also go to a sporting goods store, and buy thermal blankets, emegency blanket. Sometimes they are refered to as aluminized blankets, they are all mylar as well. Might be a good idea to open the package up and take a look, some have more of crushed texture to them, then a shiny surface. They run around $3.

Thanks for the source Brian, and thanks for the good idea Gawd.

Back