Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Less than a week ago I went out to a local aquarium/pet store and bought materials needed to make a new terrarium. THe terrarium is now complete and I thought it was 10 times better than my old one that only had 1 flurescent light above it but it doesn't seem like my CPs are happier at all. I think the lights may be a problem. Here are the lights I bought-
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/Product....00.aspx
    I have two of them above the terrarium and I have completely wrapped the terrarium in aluminum foil with a 14-hour photoperiod. Are these the right bulbs or did I majorly mess up?
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Jan. 03 2006,8:45)]Less than a week ago I went out to a local aquarium/pet store and bought materials needed to make a new terrarium. THe terrarium is now complete and I thought it was 10 times better than my old one that only had 1 flurescent light above it but it doesn't seem like my CPs are happier at all. I think the lights may be a problem. Here are the lights I bought-
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/Product....00.aspx
    I have two of them above the terrarium and I have completely wrapped the terrarium in aluminum foil with a 14-hour photoperiod. Are these the right bulbs or did I majorly mess up?
    Those put out alot less light than most cp need. Try some compacts like this.These produce lots of light and don't produce much heat.
    http://www.topbulb.com/find....E_49800
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But those are only 5000k, the ones I have are 10,000k. That doesn't seem like their more powerful to me. They're also more expensive. x_x Is it the wattage I should be looking at?

I did read the terrarium lighting thread that is pinned but I couldn't make a lot of sense out of most of it.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Jan. 03 2006,9:04)]But those are only 5000k, the ones I have are 10,000k. That doesn't seem like their more powerful to me. They're also more expensive. x_x Is it the wattage I should be looking at?

I did read the terrarium lighting thread that is pinned but I couldn't make a lot of sense out of most of it.
    10,000K is generally too high for most cp to grow well.5,000K is around the color spectrum you should be looking at for growing plants. You should be looking at LUMENS for the brightness. The higher the lumens, the brighter the light output from bulb.
    My grow list/want list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh... well I hope I can return these bulbs that I bought...

Are the lights in that link the ones you use?

I was under the impression that the higher the k, the better.

I'll see about returning the old lights tomorrow and ordering the new ones ASAP. How long do you think my CPs can handle the lights I have now?
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will grow ok for a few weeks to a few months. I use 2 of those 55 Watt compact fluorescents to light my 10 gallon terrarium.My B.liniflora Loves the 55 watt compact fluorescents. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    My grow list/want list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. Thanks for all the info. I just really hope That Fish Place lets me return the bulbs I bought.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the CRI (the 10,000k you see): CP's like things around 3000-5000k.

-D. Lybrand
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast