What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.v or 7.5v

currently i have a 10 gallon tank. i have a fan in it as well. my question is what voltage i should use for the tank. if i use 7.5 V(dc outlet), the plants move from the air. if i use 6 V(6v battery) the plants are not moving in the wind, but i dont know if its cirrculating the whole tank. suggestions?

Both fans will produce enough circulation for a 10gal tank. I wouldn't put any drosera or pings very near the fan as the constant breeze can dry their leaves/dew.

Just a thought: I've never used fans in any of my 10 gallon terrariums and I've never had any problems with my plants.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Jan. 08 2006,2:58)]Just a thought: I've never used fans in any of my 10 gallon terrariums and I've never had any problems with my plants.
really, thats weird cuz i do. do you have a lid for the tank?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Jan. 08 2006,2:58)]Just a thought: I've never used fans in any of my 10 gallon terrariums and I've never had any problems with my plants.
Same with me. Yeah, I have a lid, but it isn't on all the way. There is a inch gap all along the front end of the tank, and all my plants are happy and my dews are dewy, and their meals never rot. Only the dead leaves that manage to come in contact with their wet soil get a bit fuzzy with fungus.

-Ben

well i wonder why i have problems? do you have a pic of that terrarium?
since i repotted my ping and drosera i have not had problems.
IMG_1022.jpg

Here's the tank:

tankpic.jpg

And here's the 1" gap:

tankgap.jpg

I use a slab of glass that I found in my basement when we moved here. It works like a charm. What problems do ya have, exactly? Does the plastic that is covering your tank have air gaps?

-Ben

well where my light is, there is a gap, because it does not get very warm in there. i think my problem was i did not have a fan for a while, and kept the tank completly sealed (i was a newbie) and they got infected, so then i got a fan and they were still infected until i replanted them. i might try the gap, but ill think about it
thanks alot for your help

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]do you have a lid for the tank?

I don't keep lids on any of my tanks, so perhaps that's your problem. Something you should really consider doing is turning your 10 gallon on its side and making it into more of a grow chamber. That way your plants get good air circulation, the lights are closer to the plants, heat won't be a problem, and you'll have even more room for your plants.

I'll see if I can get a picture on here later today of my 10 gallon grow chambers.

Ben: Your U. livida is looking really nice!

Back