User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which lighting layout (with diagrams)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Ok those of you who have followed my updates know I was getting a new tank. Well i got it but it was a 20gal long instead of a 30 gal tall like i thought. So now im building a hood for the tank using the equipment I have on hand.

1- 65w flurex (yard light conversion)
    3- 20w 24" floro grow lights
    1- 4" fan 36cfm

Ok the plan is to tape off inside front of the tank and spray paint the rest of the inside flat black. Then tape the bottom also and paint the remaining inside walls flat white. The end product will hopefully have 3 sides and bottom painted black looking from the outside in. Then clear front and 3 flat white walls inside with a flat black bottom.

Im going to use 1"x12" mdf sheving planks for all the sides of the hood. With the bullnose edge faceing down. The hood will slide over and rest about 2" down the tank. Ill use corner blocks to support the weight of the hood on the tank, and allow maxuim air circulation. The top of the hood will be made out of 3/4"x15 3/4'' pine shelfing plank with a bullnose also. There will be about a 3/4" overlap on the front and both sides.
    Im still in debate weither i should hinge the top of the hood or not to make it easy to water and adjust the plants. Also in the diagrams you'll see where the fan is mounted. Im not sure if it should be blowing in or blowing out. I was thinking blowing out to make a neg pressure in the box, and to pull cool fresh air past the plants and up over the lights. If its pushed in then you would get cool air over the lights and warm air pushed down to the plants. At least thats what i think is right.
    Oh yeah i think layout B is best. But instead mount the fan in the center of the back wall.(like layout A or C Im not sure which would be better) I came up with the other fan location after I already had the pic hosted. So I guess its a graphical typo lol. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

What do you think??

ok now for the pic; this isnt to size just so you know. and theres 3 different layouts each is lettered.
    If you need me to clear anything up let me know.

My grow list

pics
    Vini, Vidi, Vichi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cmon guys no ideas??
    My grow list

pics
    Vini, Vidi, Vichi

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's going in the tank? A lot of the things in your growlist would be OK outside a tank, and you could probably light the tank with just the tubes. That Fluorex will go a long way if you put it in a small space with good reflectors.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like layout B best, although maybe a cross between A and B. Remember that if the fan blows out of the tank (or into it for that matter), humidity will drop.

-D. Lybrand
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'm reading that correctly, in option B and to a lesser extent A, you want to put lights down in the tank and not just along the top I've only ever lit from above. Thus, option C seems the best to me.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok

seedjar: everything on my list is going in the tank. We have plant eating cats and untrustworthy neighbors. Also the whole inside of the hood will be painted flat white.

dlybrand: good point on the humidity. I wonder how the temps would change if I had the fan blowing in??

Capslock:The diagrams are of the hood only. It will sit on the top of the tank.

Now after some more measureing and math. I've figured out that my root showing pots are 6" tall. And my tallest flower scapes are avengeing 10" or so.
    Using those numbers I found I can use 1"x 8" board instead of 1"x 12" that i was going to use. So that will bring the lights even closer if I do a top mount Like in layout C.
    My grow list

pics
    Vini, Vidi, Vichi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Touching on what Seedjar was saying, I think that may be a bit overkill on the lights. I just got a 20 gallon long terrarium and I use a single flourescent, two-tube fixture to light it. I use two 40 watt cool white tubes for a combined total of 80 watts of light and my plants are loving it so far.

I also have another terrarium (it's actually more of a grow chamber, but let's not get into details here!) that's lit by only 61 watts of light. All the plants in there do extremely well, and that's everything from Nepenthes to Drosera and even a single Butterwort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Ok the plan is to tape off inside front of the tank and spray paint the rest of the inside flat black. Then tape the bottom also and paint the remaining inside walls flat white. The end product will hopefully have 3 sides and bottom painted black looking from the outside in. Then clear front and 3 flat white walls inside with a flat black bottom.
    Does your description indicate that any of the inside walls will be black? When reading your description it seems a bit contradictory. Please explain.

Black paint on inside walls --- absorbs light, warming the walls, increasing inside temperatures and does not reflect light back to the plants. Big waste of incidental light. Better to use a mylar reflective film or simply paint it a flat white.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast