Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: researching a greenhouse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to get myself a greenhouse, as I have too many plants inside, and natural light is always better. Also, it will look great in the garden (assuming I get a nice looking one).

Since I live in NY, where the winter can get pretty chilly, I want to make sure I get one that is well insulated.

So, for all of you greenhouse owners in cold areas, what would you recommend?

I think I want twin walled glazed polycarbonate (hopefully 6mm)...but then I saw Double-wall acrylic Therma-Truss® construction:
    Double glazed 1-1/2” thick walls and roof for superior insulation. I wonder, is this far superior?

Any ideas from fellow northerners would be appreciated!
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Schloaty,

Been looking a bit myself and have narrowed it to:
    Juliiana Semi Pro 12.1 has 10mm twinwall
    dimensions 9'1"Wx14'6" x 7"10" peak a bit on the smallish side but energy prices are what they are...
    Saw it advertised in Harrisseeds.com for $3810 w/ free shipping (might get it cheaper using a google search, think I saw one for $3100.)

Also like www.growerssupply.com
    They have two I like: StK# 104564 11'8Wx8'10Hx16'6L w/
    6mm twinwall $3495, they have a 24'8"L version too for $4695
    Biggest greenhouse for the price. Recommend you get their catalog 18004769715

They have a passive solar greenhouse Stock#104903 w/ 8mm twinwall10'1 1/8Wx20'9 1/2"L for $3595

Check em out'

Kirk Martin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schloaty wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I would like to get myself a greenhouse,
    Kirk wrote:

Quote[/b] ]Been looking a bit myself.....
    Hmmm...if you guys each get one, perhaps you could host a future NECPS meeting at your greenhouses, rather than at the Roger Williams Park Greenhouse!

Quote[/b] ]dimensions 9'1"Wx14'6" x 7"10"
    Then again, things might get a little too cozy! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kirk for the ideas. I actually have the growersupply catalog at home, and so far it's got the GH I'm most interested in.
    Here is the one I'm leaning towards:

DOH! - Just realized i shouldn't post the link since PFT sells GH's too. BAD MOD!!

Anyway, here are the specs:
    Unique, sloped roof design allows for maximum sunlight capture in winter. During hot summer months it reflects the sunlight, keeping the greenhouse cooler.
    • Provides the ultimate growing environment.
    • Captures sunlight from all sides, resulting in uniform growth.
    • 4' rafter spacing. Sidewall height: 5' 8". Ridge height: 9' 2-1/2".
    • Frame is constructed from 16 gauge, 1.5" square Allied Gatorshield structural steel tubing.
    • Panels are constructed from UV-stabilized 8mm twin-wall polycarbonate that offers superior heat retention and comes with a 10 year warranty.
    • Multiple roof and lower vents allow for plenty of fresh air circulation.
    • For automatic climate control and improved growing conditions, FREE Solar-Powered Vent Openers are included.
    • 36"W x 80"H man door comes complete with stainless steel hinges and lever lock.

Actually has 8 mm twin walls....So even better.

Also, the way it's constructed fits better into the space/orientation I am after in the back yard.

Thoughts/comments?

17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What plants will you be growing in it?

The greenhouse you're looking at seems very good. Most CPs will be happy in anything with glass or polycarbonate walls!
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twin wall polycarbonate is good. It should be at least 8mm. They do produce a 16mm triple wall but most greenhouses aren't designed to hold the thicker panels. Some of the acrylic ones look nice too. Neither will be super energy efficient, it is a greenhouse afterall ;> So be prepared for some heating bills!

Other things to consider:
    Venting hot air
    Cooling/humidifying during the warm months
    Heating during the cool months.
    Temperature alarm and or backup systems for venting/heating
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great discussion so far! I live in the cold North as well and even though it is not in my budget right now, I will evetually need to switch to a greenhouse. Especially if the mouse wars in my basement continue but thats a whole other topic.

Does anyone have any guesses on operating costs? Heat, water treatment (I'm on a well), etc. I figure if I have a all of the costs estimated I will be in a better position to buy when the time comes.

The other question I have is concerning winter power failures. I would hate to loose my collection to the cold. Do you need a generator or will one of those automatic thermosatically controlled kerosine heaters do the trick. Will I ever be able to take a winter vacation without causing ulcers do to worry?

Glenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to add that I want to be able to grow lowland neps outdoors in a greenhouse in the dead of winter worry free.

Is this just a pipe dream?

Glenn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast