What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snow insulation?

Last year i insulated by bog by using snow. I made a gigantic mountain about eight feet high. Every two weeks it snowed, and the pile that was reduced to 5 feet was refueled. Then in spring the snow melted and i got some pretty S. leocophyllia tarnoc flowers (i realy wish i had taken pictures). Is snow really a good insulator or was i just lucky that my plants survived.

By the way im in zone 6, almost in zone 7

Snow is an excellent insulator considering that it falls from the sky and all you have to do is pile it up
smile_m_32.gif

I live in Central PA (Zone 5) and I use snow as well leaves, pine needles, sticks and grass.

I have found tha sarracenia are far more hardy than most growers give them credit for or at least are willing to believe.

I find that removing plants from the outside and overwintering them indoors in a basement causes much higher mortality than letting them slug it out with winter under a thick layer of snow/pine needles, sticks, grass etc.....

I plow snow banks around my greenhouse....its pretty nice to have that superb insulator and it sure helps protect the investment of $700 of fuel oil in the fuel tank!

Back