Thread: New lights...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (dewy @ Jan. 19 2006,1:39)]
    Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Jan. 19 2006,3:59)]I have two lights about 8 inches from the plants, it is pretty warm in there, I bet it's about 85 degrees. Maybe I should install a fan? How do I keep it cool in there? I gave all the sundews tons of water to try and cool them down that way. So far, nothing has changed.

Edit: It's also a 10 gallon tank.
    I think that 3 bulbs for a 10g terrarium is probably over heating it. Is the terrarium completely enclosed, or does it have openings for air circulation?
    I agree. What's the wattage on those bulbs? Or rather, what's the total wattage you currently have on the tank?

In my experience, 60-80 watts of light is MORE THAN ENOUGH for a 10 gallon tank. Any more is just over-doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's only 2 lights on it and they are each 55 watts. Should I just take one light out and use the other opening for ventilation?
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Jan. 21 2006,2:43)]There's only 2 lights on it and they are each 55 watts. Should I just take one light out and use the other opening for ventilation?
    Try this. Turn your 10 gallon terrarium on its side, and lay the lights on the top. This way provides easier access and also allows you to grow a few more plants because lay the terrarium on its side increases the area to grow your plants in.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (dewy @ Jan. 22 2006,9:40)]
    Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Jan. 21 2006,2:43)]There's only 2 lights on it and they are each 55 watts. Should I just take one light out and use the other opening for ventilation?
    Try this. Turn your 10 gallon terrarium on its side, and lay the lights on the top. This way provides easier access and also allows you to grow a few more plants because lay the terrarium on its side increases the area to grow your plants in.
    dewy
    Plus you'll get a ton more ventilation!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did that with my other terrarium and it HAS worked well, it's just that water leaks out all the time. And there's a problem I have with the lights as well.. They stick out over the cover by like 4 inches so they don't lay flat on the surface of the glass. I'd need to get something to prop them up without the danger of fire and getting blinded everytime I walk in my room. x_x Any ideas on how I can do that?

Also... some of my sundews are starting to get a very healthy looking red tint. I was just wondering if this was alright... Cuz my tuberous drosera are getting it as well, I just don't want to overload my CPs with too much light and lose them all...
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Jan. 22 2006,8:50)]I did that with my other terrarium and it HAS worked well, it's just that water leaks out all the time. And there's a problem I have with the lights as well.. They stick out over the cover by like 4 inches so they don't lay flat on the surface of the glass. I'd need to get something to prop them up without the danger of fire and getting blinded everytime I walk in my room. x_x Any ideas on how I can do that?

Also... some of my sundews are starting to get a very healthy looking red tint. I was just wondering if this was alright... Cuz my tuberous drosera are getting it as well, I just don't want to overload my CPs with too much light and lose them all...
    The red tint is normal when you give plants higher light levels than what they are used to. It is basically the same way we get a sun tan when we are out in the sun-the extra light won't hurt your plants.

Try water trays to correct the problem of leaking water. One of these might work well for you.
    http://www.indoorgardensupplies.com/...bCategoryID=13

For the light problem, something like this might work. It is 6 inches wide by 24 inches long. I use it for my CFL's, and it works great!
    http://www.petsmart.com/global....1144484

Hope I helped some.Feel free to ask me any more questions.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so the red light is good... awesome that means I'm doing something right.

I'll have to find one of those big trays in a K-mart or something so I don't have to order it online. I wonder if I could find one of those hoods in a store too.. they don't have them at the local pet store. Well they might.. I'll go and look again.

I don't really want to spend the extra 25 dollars for one of those hoods if I don't have to. I think if I get some pieces of wide metal piping.. I could use it to prop up the light and keep the light concealed at the same time. I'll have to go to a hardware store or something and take a look around. Thanks for the help everyone.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12