Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New lights...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, so I just got some lights that I ordered from a website for my new terrarium and well.. they REALLY stink! It smells like burning styrofoam or plastic. I was just wondering if this is like a "new light smell" and if it would go away. Cuz it really does smell bad. These lights are HUGE! And blinding I might add.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking it could be that "new light smell" you're talking about. Perhaps it will fade away in a short time. What kind of lights are they?

Although I do remember this one bulb that I had in a ceiling fan once...dang did that thing smell! Maybe it's just the kind of light you have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The smell usually only lasts for a few days before it goes away. If it doen't go away after 1 week, then there might be a problem with the bulb.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I got 3 of them so it all better go away. These bulbs you told me to get are HUGE, dewy! I had to modify my setup a little bit to get them to fit. And they're REALLY bright! It's incredible!

Also... I'm a little worried that these lights may be too much for my CPs. My sundews lost all of their dew so I turned one of the lights off in the tank. Maybe I should get them used to having so much light first?
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Jan. 18 2006,3:30)]Well I got 3 of them so it all better go away. These bulbs you told me to get are HUGE, dewy! I had to modify my setup a little bit to get them to fit. And they're REALLY bright! It's incredible!

Also... I'm a little worried that these lights may be too much for my CPs. My sundews lost all of their dew so I turned one of the lights off in the tank. Maybe I should get them used to having so much light first?
    First, how close are they to the plants? Second, what size grow area are you lighting?
    My grow list/want list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Jan. 18 2006,12:30)]Well I got 3 of them so it all better go away. These bulbs you told me to get are HUGE, dewy! I had to modify my setup a little bit to get them to fit. And they're REALLY bright! It's incredible!

That sounds like a heat thing to me. Sundews don't respond too well to excessive heat caused by strong light. Perhaps your growing area is too small for the size bulbs you have. Are your plants in a terrarium where heat can build up easily?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two lights about 8 inches from the plants, it is pretty warm in there, I bet it's about 85 degrees. Maybe I should install a fan? How do I keep it cool in there? I gave all the sundews tons of water to try and cool them down that way. So far, nothing has changed.

Edit: It's also a 10 gallon tank.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Jan. 19 2006,3:59)]I have two lights about 8 inches from the plants, it is pretty warm in there, I bet it's about 85 degrees. Maybe I should install a fan? How do I keep it cool in there? I gave all the sundews tons of water to try and cool them down that way. So far, nothing has changed.

Edit: It's also a 10 gallon tank.
    I think that 3 bulbs for a 10g terrarium is probably over heating it. Is the terrarium completely enclosed, or does it have openings for air circulation?
    My grow list/want list

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast