What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purpose of LFS ib the bottom?

Dimka

Sundewist
I was just wondering why people put sphagnum on the bottom of the trays with pots? Is it for retaining the water or something else?
Please advice. thanks.
I'm just curious.

I have no idea either, cept like ya said, I would assume that they do this since LFS can suck up water like a sponge, which keeps the number of trips to refill the water down.

-Ben

I put lfs on the bottom of my pots, so soil won't leaked through. Is this what you mean?

LFS in trays increases local humidity. The fibers act as a wick to absorb water, and the greater amount of surface area on the LFS (as opposed to a flat tray of water) allows the water to evaporate more rapidly. LFS also grows live sphagnum when kept in a bright, moist area, so you eventually get some soil mix out of the deal too. And, live LFS in water trays is supposed to be good for retarding algal growth. But do be aware that leaving live sphagnum totally submerged for long will kill it and invite lots and lots of algae - it seems to like being right at the water level best.
~Joe

Cool cool I will have to try this one then. I;m glad I read this. Thanks everyone for starting this thread and the responces.

Back