What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spring Dreaming--Bog Garden Pics

I just thought I would post some pics of my bog garden.  All the plants are still pretty young, as I just put this in during the summer of '04, and all the plants were pretty young from TC at the time.  I have been pretty impressed with the growth and hardiness of the Sarracenia this far north (Indiana, Zone 5), even without any additional mulch in the winter.

The bog was made by placing a pond liner in an old concrete trough on the north side of our well house, and filling it according to the instructions in the Savage Garden.  Yeah, I know that the north side is not ideal placement, but it gets 3-4 hours of direct sun in the morning, and the same amount in the late afternoon.  The plants seem to respond well enough to the exposure.

The bog garden:
Bog%20Garden.JPG

S. 'Judith Hindle'
normal_S.%20_Judith%20Hindle_.JPG

S. 'Scarlet Belle'
S.%20_Scarlet%20Belle_.JPG

I have another pic that I'm also trying to get here, but it's not working:

S. 'Dana's Delight'

S.%20_Dana_s%20Delight_.JPG

I hope you enjoy!

very nice!

I hope I can put in a similar bog soon!

Looking very good Burl-e! I would love to make something like that someday.

Thanks!  The fun part was stomping all the peat, perlite, and water into the finished bog.  It definitely has made growing these pretty hands-off, as the bog is large enough that it holds a substantial amount of water.  After the settling-in period, I have not had to add water whatsoever, even during a very dry period here.  However, I'm sure that the runoff from the pump house roof probably adds a lot more water than it would otherwise receive if it was simply freestanding.

What really mystifies me, however, is the fact that these plants are cold hardy in this setup.  My VFT is still looking nice and green here, even though I have no winter protection, and have never used any winter protection.  I may get burned by this eventually, but I keep waiting too long to mulch them.

Back