User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 9 to 15 of 15

Thread: 24hr light?

  1. #9
    War. War never changes. Est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    3,935
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Spot on Ben. Most plants need a rest period from photosynthesizing for gas exchange.
    Mmm, I don't think it should be a problem (at least not for this reason). Many plants have their stomata open during the day while they photosynthesize (including all of the plants named, as far as I know.)

    ZAK has been growing them for a year this way, if the plants had their stomata closed, there'd be little alternative for gas exchange (some in the roots) but soon oxygen would enter the calvin-benson cycle, photorespiration would occur, and after a short while the plant would be done for.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

  2. #10
    Capslock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]i was wondering if you could keep the lights on for 24 hours or more? would that be bad for your plants?
    I'm still wondering how you could have your lights on for MORE than 24 hours a day. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

    My photos are copyright-free and public domain

  3. #11
    白人看不懂 Drosera36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    z5/6, Rochester, NY
    Posts
    2,017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Est @ Jan. 23 2006,6:02)]
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Spot on Ben. Most plants need a rest period from photosynthesizing for gas exchange.
    Mmm, I don't think it should be a problem (at least not for this reason). Many plants have their stomata open during the day while they photosynthesize (including all of the plants named, as far as I know.)

    ZAK has been growing them for a year this way, if the plants had their stomata closed, there'd be little alternative for gas exchange (some in the roots) but soon oxygen would enter the calvin-benson cycle, photorespiration would occur, and after a short while the plant would be done for.
    Yes, of course. But some plants such as cacti and succulents keep their stomata closed tight during the hot, dry hours of the day, and then open them at night. This is so none of their water evaporates out of them. Though, I'm not at all sure about cps, though I would assume that plants, just as people and every other multi-cellular organism, tend to need a resting period. Plants didn't evolve to live in environments with sunshine always coming down on them. I would assume that they're slowly wearing themselves down. If what I say is not the case, then they will most likely be more susceptible to disease since they have no time to rest up.

    -Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

  4. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    idaho usa
    Posts
    190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol sorry

  5. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Martinez, California
    Posts
    3,556
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben, with sarracenia, it has never been a problem After 1 full year under lights, 24/7, 365 days a year, my sarracenia are 1 foot or taller, mature faster, and have never seemed to suffer from this treatment. I have never tried it on drosera or dionaea, but I have just put some under lights just to see how they fare. I am watching them closely.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

  6. #14
    War. War never changes. Est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    3,935
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Yes, of course. But some plants such as cacti and succulents keep their stomata closed tight during the hot, dry hours of the day, and then open them at night. This is so none of their water evaporates out of them. Though, I'm not at all sure about cps, though I would assume that plants, just as people and every other multi-cellular organism, tend to need a resting period. Plants didn't evolve to live in environments with sunshine always coming down on them. I would assume that they're slowly wearing themselves down. If what I say is not the case, then they will most likely be more susceptible to disease since they have no time to rest up.
    That's C4 (+ CAM) photosynthesis. Plants which are used to being in dry, hot climates may use C4 or CAM photosynthesis, that's very true. Though, look at the climate of CPs... Furthermore, there is a physiological response during the day where many plants halt photosynthesis.

    So, long story short: we've got no reason to believe that the CPs listed are using C4/CAM photosynthesis, and as we now have two (Bugweed and Zak) instances of people doing it with no noted ill effects, I'll say "go for it" until we get some specific evidence pointing in the opposite direction.

    Note that dormancy requirements should probably still be respected.

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I'm still wondering how you could have your lights on for MORE than 24 hours a day. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    LOL Maybe he means for more than 24 hours at a time??

    Oh, and Bug, you'll have to let us know the results of your Dionaea and Drosera tests. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

  7. #15

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Texas City,TX
    Posts
    395
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have grown Dionaea, D. adelae, and S. rubra in my office before. But they were bought in Dec., and planted outside in spring. So they only encounterd 3 Mo. of constant light.The light I use in my office will not come back on automaticly when used with a timer so I was kinda forced to leave it on. This is how my "experiment" came to pass. My N.x'Judith Finn' is going on two years now. and thought it's not very tall it has sprouted two growth points. I should mention it was a seedling whin I foud it at Krogers, planted with a D. Spatualata, and VFT, IN A 3" POT. The pitchers average about 5"to 7". Not really a Nep, expert so I'm not really sure how quickly these plants mature. I tend to stick to VFT, Sarrs, and droseras.
    I always suspect everything could be a trap... thats why I'm still alive
    N.A.S.C. Region 9 Head Grower

    http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/ZAK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •