Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Grow Space + Questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, some responses lol.

Tyfone make sure you match the amperages of your fan and your adapter. There is a small number on each fan usually like 1.2A or such. You must buy a variable power adapter that converts between 100mA and 1000mA.

lol Joe, I hate those darned wrigglies and I have no aquatic utrics. So I think your plan sounds great. I'd say place about an inch(?) of red lava rock on the bottom then an inch or two of sphagnum, and then how often would I replace the water, or would i just refill it if the sphagnum becomes alive? Sound good?

Thx Yoss I was unaware that waterlogging neps was a bad idea, the pots have been removed

Thx all for your comments and thank you scott for being the first one to finally give me some light as to what I was growing.

Zac
    "You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public" -Scott Adams-

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have lots of U. gibba, Zac - I could spare you some. I have to play around with my terraiums soon anyways so I can just grab a big clump of LFS - a handful should have enough U. gibba and live sphagnum to get your colony started. I have three or four things to get in the mail this weekend, so you should PM me and we can make arrangements. That mix for rock and sphagnum sounds about right, but I'd use a thicker layer of lava rock than sphagnum, as sphagnum begins to decompose when it's left submerged for long periods of time. Keep in mind that the sphagnum will pack down, as well. Allow the water table to drop to the rock level, and water before the LFS has a chance to dry. Water enough to flood everything for a day or so, then repeat.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pink fringed ping looks like a P. x Titan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Feb. 05 2006,1:29)]Hey Zac, you should try lining the terrarium with LFS and try to get some aquatic Utrics like U gibba or inflata. If you plan to keep the water level particularly deep, put some porous rock or coarse gravel on the bottom and keep the LFS just a little beneath the water level. I have this kind of setup going in both my terraria and it's a very productive combination; the Utrics keep the wigglies under control in the water and seem to help control the decay of the LFS, and if you're patient enough with it the LFS starts to grow new live strands. Or you can just toss a few tips of live sphagnum from your Nep pots on top of the LFS when you start the whole setup and you'll have plenty of sphagnum within months.
    ~Joe
    hey..that sounds like something i need to do..will aquarium gravel work? and should it be u. gibba bc i dont have any of that?

thanks

Brad
    thanks for you imput

Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx for the parameters and the offer Joe. I plan on implementing this change in the next week or so. PM'ed ya [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] .

thx,

Zac
    "You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public" -Scott Adams-

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aquarium gravel will work, but I think that something like lava rock or pumice is ideal because it's porous and will transmit water better. I use just sphagnum myself - mostly because I have tall plants in the terraria - and it suffices.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12