What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Grow Space + Questions

Thought it was right time I let you guys see me setup plus I have a few question. We'll save those for later let the pictures begin(sorry about the rather large pics):

My Whole Grow Area:

CParea.jpg

My terrarium:

Fullshotgood.jpg

Germination Station (lol):

Germinationstation.jpg

Neps:

Nepcornergood.jpg

Pings and Drosera:

Dewtray.jpg

Pink-fringed Ping (Unknown Species):

Pinkpinggood.jpg

Drosera Capillaris Flower stalks:

Bothcapillirisflower.jpg

I'm hoping on polinating the flowers anyone have any ideas, suggestions, useful tips?

The Very Dirty Bottom of My Tank (i.e. Why I'm Posting):

Bottomtank.jpg

As you can see it is very dirty and hard to clean due to everything being elevated so I have two options:

1) Place a layer of red lavarock/brick along the bottom of the terrarium floor

OR

2) Line the bottom with about 2 inches of dead shagnum which may or may not become live sphagnum. Is this feasible/A good idea?

Tell me what you think is better

Zac

Forgot this pic of my ping tray:

Pingtray.jpg

Zac

BUTP bump up this post, lol XD. Great terrarium, the plants are very kewl, use peat moss, LFS or someting like that produce a fungus, it can be harm full!!!, be carefull, how do u instal the fan?, i do that and i burt it, plus almos i make a electrick shok and burnt other stuff, thanks god noting happend.

Hey Zac, you should try lining the terrarium with LFS and try to get some aquatic Utrics like U gibba or inflata. If you plan to keep the water level particularly deep, put some porous rock or coarse gravel on the bottom and keep the LFS just a little beneath the water level. I have this kind of setup going in both my terraria and it's a very productive combination; the Utrics keep the wigglies under control in the water and seem to help control the decay of the LFS, and if you're patient enough with it the LFS starts to grow new live strands. Or you can just toss a few tips of live sphagnum from your Nep pots on top of the LFS when you start the whole setup and you'll have plenty of sphagnum within months.
~Joe

Great terrarium.
don't keep your neps water-logged.
don't even use trays for them, water from above and keep a good drainage.

wow, some responses lol.

Tyfone make sure you match the amperages of your fan and your adapter. There is a small number on each fan usually like 1.2A or such. You must buy a variable power adapter that converts between 100mA and 1000mA.

lol Joe, I hate those darned wrigglies and I have no aquatic utrics. So I think your plan sounds great. I'd say place about an inch(?) of red lava rock on the bottom then an inch or two of sphagnum, and then how often would I replace the water, or would i just refill it if the sphagnum becomes alive? Sound good?

Thx Yoss I was unaware that waterlogging neps was a bad idea, the pots have been removed

Thx all for your comments and thank you scott for being the first one to finally give me some light as to what I was growing.

Zac

I have lots of U. gibba, Zac - I could spare you some. I have to play around with my terraiums soon anyways so I can just grab a big clump of LFS - a handful should have enough U. gibba and live sphagnum to get your colony started. I have three or four things to get in the mail this weekend, so you should PM me and we can make arrangements. That mix for rock and sphagnum sounds about right, but I'd use a thicker layer of lava rock than sphagnum, as sphagnum begins to decompose when it's left submerged for long periods of time. Keep in mind that the sphagnum will pack down, as well. Allow the water table to drop to the rock level, and water before the LFS has a chance to dry. Water enough to flood everything for a day or so, then repeat.
~Joe

The pink fringed ping looks like a P. x Titan

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Feb. 05 2006,1:29)]Hey Zac, you should try lining the terrarium with LFS and try to get some aquatic Utrics like U gibba or inflata. If you plan to keep the water level particularly deep, put some porous rock or coarse gravel on the bottom and keep the LFS just a little beneath the water level. I have this kind of setup going in both my terraria and it's a very productive combination; the Utrics keep the wigglies under control in the water and seem to help control the decay of the LFS, and if you're patient enough with it the LFS starts to grow new live strands. Or you can just toss a few tips of live sphagnum from your Nep pots on top of the LFS when you start the whole setup and you'll have plenty of sphagnum within months.
~Joe
hey..that sounds like something i need to do..will aquarium gravel work? and should it be u. gibba bc i dont have any of that?

thanks

Brad

Thx for the parameters and the offer Joe. I plan on implementing this change in the next week or so. PM'ed ya
smile_m_32.gif

thx,

Zac

Aquarium gravel will work, but I think that something like lava rock or pumice is ideal because it's porous and will transmit water better. I use just sphagnum myself - mostly because I have tall plants in the terraria - and it suffices.
~Joe

Back