Thread: Setting up a N. bicalcarata terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (chloroplast @ Feb. 05 2006,7:12)]
    Quote[/b] ]Well my current bical is in my 20 gallon long terrarium. In fact, Chloroplast, you were helping me get the right lighting for this very tank not too long ago (which I'm very grateful for, by the way!).
    You're very welcome; glad I could help! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Quote[/b] ]If I don't use plexiglass, what can I use to cover the top?
    Why don't you use the glass cover that comes with the tank? The cover usually has a plastic strip that allows complete enclosure. You can get good air circulation by installing a CPU fan.
    Hmmmm, none of my tanks have come with any sort of covering for the top.... Maybe I buy defective tanks! Hahahaha!

Is there anywhere that I could get glass cut to fit a 10 gallon terrarium?

Also, would you mind walking me through how I would go about installing a CPU in my tank? I'm horrible with electronics and I don't even know how to start with that stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got plexiglass at the local Orchard Supply Hardware. For a few bucks you can have it in whatever dimensions you like. And you're right, you will need something like that to keep the humidity high enough. What I've done in the past is I'd put the lowland tank on the upper of two shelves of lights. That way the lights on the lower shelf heat the board onto which they are mounted, effectivley warming and humidifying the tank above them.

What I also did for a time, and this was very effective, was to put in an aquarium heater in a container of water. This also, both humidified and warmed the tank. I've never used CPU fans, though I'm sure the plants would be happier if I did.

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm growing some neps in my grow chamber. They were all cuttings and are all growing pitchers like crazy now. This is how I have it setup.

It is pretty much sealed, surrounded by mylar on every side. I use a mix of 4ft warm/deluxe t8 bulbs. I have a total of 4, 4ft bulbs on this grow shelf. I also have 2 80mm CPU fans, one on each side of the shelf blowing around in there.

I'm not sure how you are growing your Neps, are they planted in the terranium or are they in their pots? I have mine in their pots. Also what kind of medium are you using to grow them? I'm using 50/50 LFS/perlite.

Next, I bought a rubbermaid storage tub thingy, and filled the bottom of the tub with about 1 1/2 inches of pea gravel. I then water each pot once a week, and fill the tub with water until it's about 2inches or so up their 6inch pots. It takes about a week for it to all evaporate. I let the tub completely dry out for a day or so before I water them again. They seem to like this.

But as for tips, since you are using a 20 gallon tank, you can skip buying the plastic tub and just fill the bottom of your tank with a few inches of pea-gravel and top it with some LFS if you have any. Put your Nep pots on top of that and then water it and fill up your tank so that around 2-3inches of your nep pot is sitting in water. Then let it all evaporate and dry out, then refill it. They seem to really like this kind of watering cycle from my experience. As long as you are using a LFS/perlite or alternative light and airy medium you will not have any root rot problems. I would not recommend sitting your pots in water though if you are using pete. Also line the glass with mylar to get more light to them. Leave the top of your tank uncovered, I think that would be too much humidity.

Let me know how this works, I guarantee you'll notice a difference.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Feb. 06 2006,11:29)]I'm growing some neps in my grow chamber. They were all cuttings and are all growing pitchers like crazy now. This is how I have it setup.

It is pretty much sealed, surrounded by mylar on every side. I use a mix of 4ft warm/deluxe t8 bulbs. I have a total of 4, 4ft bulbs on this grow shelf. I also have 2 80mm CPU fans, one on each side of the shelf blowing around in there.

I'm not sure how you are growing your Neps, are they planted in the terranium or are they in their pots? I have mine in their pots. Also what kind of medium are you using to grow them? I'm using 50/50 LFS/perlite.

Next, I bought a rubbermaid storage tub thingy, and filled the bottom of the tub with about 1 1/2 inches of pea gravel. I then water each pot once a week, and fill the tub with water until it's about 2inches or so up their 6inch pots. It takes about a week for it to all evaporate. I let the tub completely dry out for a day or so before I water them again. They seem to like this.

But as for tips, since you are using a 20 gallon tank, you can skip buying the plastic tub and just fill the bottom of your tank with a few inches of pea-gravel and top it with some LFS if you have any. Put your Nep pots on top of that and then water it and fill up your tank so that around 2-3inches of your nep pot is sitting in water. Then let it all evaporate and dry out, then refill it. They seem to really like this kind of watering cycle from my experience. As long as you are using a LFS/perlite or alternative light and airy medium you will not have any root rot problems. I would not recommend sitting your pots in water though if you are using pete. Also line the glass with mylar to get more light to them. Leave the top of your tank uncovered, I think that would be too much humidity.

Let me know how this works, I guarantee you'll notice a difference.
    Very interesting approach Outsiders. The only problem is that I don't just grow Neps in my 20 gallon long, so I don't know if the sundews would appreciate that extra humidity.

I may try this with the new 10 gallon I'm getting, which'll just be for my two N. bicals. Where would I be able to get a small amount of pea-gravel for my tank? Don't they only sell it in big bags?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    saran wrap. thats what i use it makes the humidity go way up there!
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Feb. 06 2006,1:29)]saran wrap. thats what i use it makes the humidity go way up there!
    Doesn't the saran wrap melt under the heat of the lights?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got mine from a local garden center. I know Lowes and Home depot sell bags of it, not sure if they sell the small ones.

How are you watering your bical now?
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Hmmmm, none of my tanks have come with any sort of covering for the top.... Maybe I buy defective tanks! Hahahaha! Is there anywhere that I could get glass cut to fit a 10 gallon terrarium?
    I've never had glass cut for me so I don't know the answer to that. However, you can buy a glass cover for 10gal tank at your local Petco for ~$10-20.

Quote[/b] ]Also, would you mind walking me through how I would go about installing a CPU in my tank?
    As for the CPU fan, get the smallest AC fan you can find at Radioshack (~1-2" square) for ~$10-20. As for how to set it up:

1. Buy an extension cord and cut off the end with the outlets. You should see two separate bundles of copper wire in the cut cord.

2. Strip the cord and wrap one bundle around the wire of the CPU fan (called "splicing"). Wrap the other cord bundle around the other wire of the CPU fan. Sodering can help maintain the connection, as can wire crimping tubes.

3. Use electrical tape or wire crimping tubes to seal the splice. Plug into an outlet and let it rip!

4. *If you buy a DC fan you'll need to splice it to an adapter ($30) instead of an extension cord. One last note, this is how I've spliced my wires but I'm not an electrician so do these things at your own risk! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast