Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Setting up a N. bicalcarata terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help Chloroplast. I might stop by Petco today and check to see if they have a glass cover for a 10 gallon tank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Feb. 06 2006,2:59)]I got mine from a local garden center. I know Lowes and Home depot sell bags of it, not sure if they sell the small ones.

How are you watering your bical now?
    Just the tray method. I let the water evaporate between waterings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also you an old AC adapter and cut off the end of that. However you have to take note in the output of mA it does, your adapter should have a little more mA than is required by your fans. "butt-connectors" can be bought at radioshack, to connect the wires.

Also as far as fans go, $20 is expensive if you ask me. You can get PC fans a lot cheaper and they do the same job.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Feb. 06 2006,4:44)]
    Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Feb. 06 2006,1:29)]saran wrap. thats what i use it makes the humidity go way up there!
    Doesn't the saran wrap melt under the heat of the lights?
    i got a 50watt bulb about one inch awayfrom some with no ill effects. i called the company incase of a fire hazard and they said it can take up to 97*(random much [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] ) it shouldnt be a problem
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello LLeopardGGecko, I read through your posts here and would like to give a little advice...bicals get MUCH too large for a 10-gallon. Since you grow Drosera, why don't you put them in the 10-gallon tank and use the 20 for the bicals. You mention your humidity is 30-50%; this is MUCH too low for bicals. From my experience bicals need some of the highest humidity readings of most Neps I have grown. Even a 20-gallon tank will eventually be too small for bicals, but it will give you a year or 2 with a small plant. To cover your tanks, save a bunch of money and go to Home Depot, buy pieces of cut glass, and for about $3 you can buy a glass-cutting kit (I was just there the other day shopping for glass for my new greenhouse). I would cut "2" pieces of glass that would fit snugly on the top of the tank, so you can accurately adjust the amount of outside air coming into the tank by simply adjusting one of the sections of glass. You can even glue a piece of wood on one of the pieces to create a handle for removing the glass. If you have the money, I would go to a thrift store (they ALWAYS have old aquariums for sale!) and look for a hex- or octagon-shaped tank because this will give you much more height that your bical will need. Just make sure you keep that humidity VERY high (like 80% or more!)
    Ludwig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really appreciate all your advice Ludwig! But dang, now I don't know WHAT to do [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] I like your idea of moving all my sundews out of my 20 gallon and placing them in the new 10 gallon, but I hate to move those little guys because they're so used to the conditions of my 20 gallon long right now. I guess they'd adjust to the new conditions fairly quickly though.

I have a question though. Say I moved all my Pings and Drosera out of my twenty gallon long and just left the Neps in there. Do you think all my Neps would be happy with such high humidity? So far I'm growing N. ampullaria, N. ventrata, N. villosa, N. rafflesiana, and N. ventricosa. I also have a Ceph in there for good measure [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] I'm just thinking that those guys don't need the super high humidity so the N. bicals would be better off in a tank of their own.

Now I know these plants get big fast, but how fast are we talking? Perhaps 6 months before they outgrow the 10 gallon? That would give me enough time to make room for something bigger for them, maybe a new 20 gallon that would be JUST for N. bical.

Your thoughts?

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my experience with bical: the 1st one I received appeared to be in good condition (it was a large 12" plant) and my greenhouse was never lower than 70%; this plant just sat there for many months, then died. I got another large plant in its place; it did the same thing, just sat there and did not grow a millimeter for months, then all of a sudden, it just took off and got HUGE in a matter of a few more months. I know that when the HOTTEST part of summer arrived and the GH was at 90-110 degrees daily, the bical really responded and grew very fast. I have always kept the humidity very high but have heard from others that bicals do not like humidity lower than say 60% or so.
    If you REALLY want a long-lasting favorable experience with your bical I would strongly suggest planning ahead and getting a larger growing chamber and put your bical and your ampullaria in there (this was also the time my amps really did well; they both grow together and come from hot swampy areas where there is little air movement). I have always done things by trial and error, and in my lowland house I actually REMOVED the fan I had in there and my bicals and amps did even better for me. My best advice for you with your bical is to give it STEADY conditions and lots of room, very high temps and light, and never let the humidity get too low.

Have you ever thought of building yourself your own terrarium? As I said before, loose glass pieces from home depot is VERY cheap and you can get a glass cutting kit for about $3. Just get some sealant from Home depot (it wouldn't have to be absolutely water-tight as an aquarium would have to be) and make your own grow chamber! I would estimate you could make a 4-foot high chamber for less than you would think. If I didn't have the greenhouse I would have done this a long time ago, and you can even design it to fit snugly in your room in the space you intend to keep it.
    Ludwig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (ludwig777 @ Feb. 06 2006,7:55)]Here is my experience with bical: the 1st one I received appeared to be in good condition (it was a large 12" plant) and my greenhouse was never lower than 70%; this plant just sat there for many months, then died. I got another large plant in its place; it did the same thing, just sat there and did not grow a millimeter for months, then all of a sudden, it just took off and got HUGE in a matter of a few more months. I know that when the HOTTEST part of summer arrived and the GH was at 90-110 degrees daily, the bical really responded and grew very fast. I have always kept the humidity very high but have heard from others that bicals do not like humidity lower than say 60% or so.
    If you REALLY want a long-lasting favorable experience with your bical I would strongly suggest planning ahead and getting a larger growing chamber and put your bical and your ampullaria in there (this was also the time my amps really did well; they both grow together and come from hot swampy areas where there is little air movement). I have always done things by trial and error, and in my lowland house I actually REMOVED the fan I had in there and my bicals and amps did even better for me. My best advice for you with your bical is to give it STEADY conditions and lots of room, very high temps and light, and never let the humidity get too low.

Have you ever thought of building yourself your own terrarium? As I said before, loose glass pieces from home depot is VERY cheap and you can get a glass cutting kit for about $3. Just get some sealant from Home depot (it wouldn't have to be absolutely water-tight as an aquarium would have to be) and make your own grow chamber! I would estimate you could make a 4-foot high chamber for less than you would think. If I didn't have the greenhouse I would have done this a long time ago, and you can even design it to fit snugly in your room in the space you intend to keep it.
    Ludwig
    Once again Ludwig, thanks for all the info. You're really helping out [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Your experience with your first N. bical seems to be similar to mine. Since I received it (which is more than a month and a half ago now) the plant has basically just sat there, with minimal new growth and absolutely no pitchers. After you explained that your second N. bical took off with really high humidity and even higher temps, it's now apparent to me that it's current location in my 20 gallon long terrarium just won't cut it.

I would love to make my own grow chamber, but I just don't have the time or the patience at this point in time to go about making one. I'm pretty horrible with making things to begin with, so I'm sure it wouldn't end up pretty. Plus a 10 gallon tank is only $10 at Petsmart. I'd just have to pick up some kind of cover for it (glass or plexiglass) and maybe a small aquarium heater to keep humidity and heat up.

It's good to know I can keep my N. ampullaria in there with it. I'll plan on having both my N. bicals and my N. ampullaria in my new humid/hot tank.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast