Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Setting up a N. bicalcarata terrarium

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Feb. 07 2006,10:01)]I'll plan on having both my N. bicals and my N. ampullaria in my new humid/hot tank.
    Yes, of all the plants you mention, these 2 would be best grown together as your highlanders won't like the extreme warm temps.
    Ludwig

Carnivorous Plants KCCPGUY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have gotten my terrarium go with several Asian pitchers and a pygmy sundew. I have two gro lamps and they seem to be doing well. I drip water down over them.They also get some Sun from the South window. However I wonder about the humidity that all talk about it. Can you all explain about the untrasonic fogger and how this works and where I can get one ? What is the best to check humdity?
    thanks.
    Dr. Eric Flescher, Olathe, KSdreric1kansas@aol.com)
    Eric's Carnivorous Plant Site
    http://www.xanga.com/kccpguy
    E.O.A.S. (Earth, Oceans, Atmosphere and Space Blog) <a href=\"http://www.xanga.com/dreric1kansas>[/URL\" target=\"_blank\">
    [URL=http://members.aol.com/kcstarg....omy.htm</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (kccpguy @ Feb. 08 2006,8:40)]I also have gotten my terrarium go with several Asian pitchers and a pygmy sundew. I have two gro lamps and they seem to be doing well. I drip water down over them.They also get some Sun from the South window. However I wonder about the humidity that all talk about it. Can you all explain about the untrasonic fogger and how this works and where I can get one ? What is the best to check humdity?
    thanks.
    Humidity is the amount of moisture in the air; Nepenthes need very high humidity to do well. You can buy a humidistat (instrument that measures humidity) in any hardware store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my new tank all set up, with glass coverings and aquarium heater in place! I'll post pictures later this week once all my plants arrive.

By the way, humidity is now hovering in the high 80s, which is MUCH better than what's in my other tank. Hopefully my little neglected bical will respond [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Feb. 08 2006,9:48)]I got my new tank all set up, with glass coverings and aquarium heater in place! I'll post pictures later this week once all my plants arrive.

By the way, humidity is now hovering in the high 80s, which is MUCH better than what's in my other tank. Hopefully my little neglected bical will respond [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Sounds like you're off to a great start. Anxious to see pics...glad to see your humidity is high enough, just try to keep the temps as high as you can, especially at night...higher nighttime temperatures, even up to 70, will help these heat-loving plants. You can buy heating pads designed for reptiles (sure you are familiar with these!) which would be a great solution for you, under your tank.
    Ludwig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good idea about the heating pad. I might just go ahead and get one to keep temps as high as possible. Today the temp seems to have settled at 88 degrees, with roughly 80 percent humidity. Perhaps the heating pad will push the temp over the edge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An update to my situation: Both my N. bicals and my N. ampullaria seem to be enjoying the new humid terrarium so far. My older N. bical pretty much "woke up" once I gave it the better conditions, which is always a cool thing to see! I do have a few conerns though:

1) I'm using the tray method to water my new Neps in this terrarium. Since it's so humid, the water barely evaporates, keeping the plants waterlogged all the time. Is this bad for these plants? I've heard on this forum that both of these plants come from swamplands, so is keeping them waterlogged ok?

2) A hairy fungus has started to develop on the soil of my older N. bical. It hasn't actually hit the plant yet. I have some Physan in a spray bottle. Would it be ok to just spray this on the soil?

3) I've been taking the top off the terrarium every few days to get some air to my plants. Other than that, not much air gets inside. Is this ok?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) I beleev its bad for all neps to be waterlogged so id rather take them out of the tray and just water over-head.
    2) Cant answer but if u are using the water tray system for this one too maybe that was the cause. I think u should just repot the whole thing. Just my opinion.
    3)I just leev a very small gap in the front of my terrarium and my plants thrive. I think that if u have room u should put a tiny gap in the front.
    4) Wat r the conditions for ur terrarium? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast