What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Polycarbonate panels...

ludwig777

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
Couldn't find this on the forums:
I am building a new greenhouse and using the standard clear polycarbonate panels from Home Depot, which I used on my last greenhouse. They seem so work well, but I have noticed on the product it states that they block out 99.9% of 'harmful' UV rays. Wouldn't this affect plant growth? Is there a better product to use?
Thanks for the help,
Ludwig

p_DCP_0692.jpg

Hey nice to see you!!! I wrote the manufacture of this when I built my first green house. I'll try to find it and give you their "expert" reply
smile.gif

The material is uv protected to keep the panels from deteroiating but does not block out the UV rays needed for the plants.
Here is the light transmission for each of our panels.

Smoke 84% light transmission
Clear 93% light transmission
White 78% light transmission

This is information pulled from my conversations with "terry" over the span of a week. Also, if you live in a cold climate (I know your in cali.. .but info for others) you can use the smoke color as it produces more heat than the others...
Hope it helps you!!!!
Andrew

OH! and keep us updated with pictures and such.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ Feb. 07 2006,1:34)]OH!  and keep us updated with pictures and such.  
smile_m_32.gif
Andrew, thanks for the nice reply! I did make a post on the Nepenthes forum as my new GH will be specifically designed for growing Nepenthes, low- and highlanders.

Thank you very much for the info about the UV transmission. I guess it won't hinder plant growth if it is just a protectant but their wording was misleading I guess.. I will keep everyone posted on my progress...man, that poly stuff is expensive!!!!!!
Ludwig

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ludwig777 @ Feb. 06 2006,2:40)]Thank you very much for the info about the UV transmission. I guess it won't hinder plant growth if it is just a protectant but their wording was misleading I guess..
Yah- Think about this... it was 2 years ago that I wrote to them and asked them the same thing. Upon recieving the answer I was looking for, I sugested then change the wording.. LOL! I guess more people are prolly looking for the UV "protection" of the pannels than there are growers looking for the UV light to be used on plants....

OK here's a follow-up question that I hope doesn't sound too dumb but is it OK to just use regular glass (i.e. does it restrict any needed rays from the sun)? I notice how cheap loose glass is at Home Depot and I could easily make my own windows with it if it is ok for the plants, at least in some of the less conspicuous parts of the greenhouse. Anyone know about this?
Ludwig

Back