Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building an outdoor bog...

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think D. binata would be worth the risk. It's so pretty! I mean, it couldn't be nearly as bad as capensis. Pulling a dozen runners up every year as opposed to several thousand seedlings every few months? Not a hard choice for me.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe, had d. binata in my circulating water bog. Crowded out the VFT's and rosetted 'dews. I HAD to tear them out, or lose plants. They ARE (unfortunately) risky with other species. and take over wet ground, PERIOD! You evidently haven't grown them outside of a pot, or you would sing another tune, but quick!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll take your word for it, then. But I sure do love 'em! I'd just put them in a corner and enforce a strict D. binata segregation scheme. Cut 'em off with some ranks of rubra! And artillery! Fire! Burn them all! Ahahahaha!
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe! Spectracide will work just fine. And kill absolutely everything.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Houston. You are in Dallas, right?

S. alata is native to Texas. It stands up better to some of the withering summer temps than the others.

S. leucophylla is good, too.

If you want decumbent species (psitticina and purpurea) make sure they are shaded by taller Sarracenia.

D. brevifolia and D. capillaris are native to Texas; they do well, and reseed like crazy. With reseeding, they will stand up to fairly vigorous live sphagnum growth.

D. filiformis ssp. tracyi is the best filiformis subspecies for our climate; ssp. filiformis really can't handle it.

Tropical and subtropical varietes of D. intermedia are nice, too.

In Dallas, you probably get a more reliable winter than we do in Texas, so you should try some VFTs. Make sure they are shaded by taller plants; they can't stand up to hot Texas Augusts and Septembers unless shaded.

I plan this year to try some P. primiliflora, shaded well, in my garden.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U. subulata and U. livida will absolutely COVER the surface. They will crowd out small Drosera. I don't recommend it.

Also, the flowers of livida, while pretty, will drown out smaller plants, they are so prolific. Put them in a separate planter all by themselves.

I recommend drilling a 5-gallon plastic bucket with holes all over and sinking it in the center of your garden, as a well to see the water table. Then plant U. gibba in it. Controls mosquitos, provides copious yellow flowers, stays CONTAINED.

D. binata will become invasive. So will D. capensis.

Stick with north american species.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the help guys. This bog is about 10'x7' large with a walking path through the middle. I went to Lowes and cleaned out their stock of LFS and peat moss. What I was planning to do was fill the bog with LFS then put all the peat moss in a line through the middle along with rocks as support for stepping stones.

This bog is going to be sunken into the ground an lined with a pond liner. Should I poke holes in the bottom of the liner or just let the bottom half of the substrate waterlog?

So far I have lots of dormant S. Alata, S. Flava, S. leucophylla, and the good old standby, scarlet bell. I also have tons of dormant VFT's ready and a few sundews in the mail. This bog is going to be awsome!

Now that I think about it I might shy away from useing Blatterworts in this bog. I have a few inside and I know what SarraceniaScott means about how invasive they are.

-Rail
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a side note concerning construction:

One post I saw awhile back the lady said she placed LFS around the edge of the bog. That way when the bog started getting dry the dried up edges of lfs were a sure indicator.
    I always suspect everything could be a trap... thats why I'm still alive
    N.A.S.C. Region 9 Head Grower

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/ZAK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12