What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wat can I build?

Hi. Wat can I build for my N.bical so I can put it there in the winter, it can fit in my room, and a 12 year old and his dad can build it? I need it to be pretty cheap too. Could u plz show me a pic of a grow chamber or something? Thanks!

PVC pipes to the rescue! Look at this and just imagine something smaller. You can also use aluminum electrical conduit pipe instead of the PVC plastic stuff.
Best luck!
~Joe

Wow, nothing says "My dad's a cheapskate!" like this does:

Abunkbed.jpg

Anyway... yeah, PVC is good stuff.
smile.gif

The one thing I hate about it is cutting it... tons of little white shavings that stick to absolutely everything. Is there some secret to cutting it that makes it bearable that no one has told me?

Seedjar,
How much do u think all the stuff nessacary to build the PVC pipe arched greenhouse is? Where do I get PVC pipes and how do they connect and stuff? I have absolutey no experience with PVC pipes and neither does my dad. But he has experience with wood.

A+ endparenthesis. That gave me a good laugh. You can cut PVC with a vice-clamp pipecutter like they sell for metal pipe. You clamp it down on the pipe and it has a little round pizza-cutter-ish blade on one end that cuts the pipe when you rotate it in the clamp. You alternate turning and tightening the clamp and it gives you a clean cut in a few revolutions. It still produces a few shavings, but not as bad as cutting with a saw or one of those awful cord things. And it's nearly impossible to get an uneven cut.
~Joe

If you want to build something out of 2x4's, I can show you a pic of what I've got. It's 48"x36"x26" and looks nice in the house. Now let's see if that photo website account works...

-D. Lybrand

chamber_full.jpg

Thar she blows.
Now a few pics of the inside:

chamber_right.jpg

chamber_left.jpg

-D. Lybrand

Wats the humidity, how much was it, how big, and can I fit a fully grown bical in it?

PVC pipes can be had at most hardware stores. They sell joints for each size of pipe to connect them at angles. Once you have a frame, you can fit panels on it made from fiberglass or greenhouse siding, which is also available at hardware stores. If you can't find fiberglass or greenhouse siding, you can use a vynil tarp.
~Joe

PVC is pretty easy, but doesn't look as nice. Besides, woodworking is much more fun, and you can do cool things like add sliding doors and such!

-D. Lybrand

With wood you have to think about how it's going to handle the moisture. It's not much of an issue if the plastic sheeting is on the inside rather than the outside of the frame... but since the PVC can be wet or dry you might get more freedom (it's probably easier to wrap the sheeting around the outside).

If the wood has to get wet you need to go with something like redwood or cedar... and then there are options to seal or coat it which I don't really know much about.

So ur saying I should do PVC piping? But my dad and I have never had any expereince with PVC pipes. If someone can get me easy simple cheap directions then I probably will go with PVC's.

Sliding doors....How i do that?, please tell me im going to sell my glass terrarium and im makeng a wood one...Umm forget it i always drop water all over it, ok, ok, How i make a sliding door for the lamp of the terrarium, that would be very Kewl!!
smile_n_32.gif
, if i put silicone over all the wood will it be protected?

HISSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! water trays for neps and a pitcher drowning
mad.gif
. PVC pipes all the way. affordable wont decompose, durable, and mutifunctional. a cheap way to make somthing is to make a PVC frame then cover with....the best thing on earth(well one of them) SARAN WRAP....or not
smile_n_32.gif

When making a wood (or partially wood) tank, sliding doors are accomplished using grooves. A tablesaw or router can be used.

If you don't want an all wood tank, use a big aquarium tank and turn it on its side so that the open top is now the front.

Take 1"x1" wood pieces and cut grooves in them to fit glass/acrylic. These pieces will be cut to fit the frame. Then assemble the frame 3/4 of the way (so you can still fit the glass in!)

Once the glass is in place, finish the frame and attach it to the front of the aquarium. You may want to glue it in place using the black edging most tanks have.

-D. Lybrand

You could do like Swords. Get a shower enclosure (on sale cheap) and convert it into a grow chamber for neps. Shower grow chamber

ok i got this its a little expensive but it does wonders. just to show they are good there is a nepenthes growing in the larger one.
Exo-Terra

What's your budget?

I built myself a growth chamber from stainless steel wire shelving, 4' shop lights, power strip, timer, fluorescent lights, and transparent vinyl shower curtains for ~$250; it has four lit 2'x4' shelves, and the topmost shelf is a handy storage space.

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....;t=9553

Back