Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warm White Florescent?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Next year? You should change your bulbs every 3 months or so.
    I change my cool white fluorescents once per year and my plants are doing very well.

Would they do better if the bulbs were changed every three months?....perhaps. The plants would probably do even better if the bulbs were changed every month. But how much better versus the increase in cost? I think one should consider the cost-to-benefit ratio when deciding how often bulbs are replaced, especially when operating on a limited budget. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bulbs lose their intensity, and color because they burn off the gas that's inside those tubes after awhile. When I changed my bulbs out you wouldn't believe the bulbs before were the same ones.

Price? I think I paid $2-3 for a 2 pack at home depot...
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Feb. 23 2006,10:57)]Bulbs lose their intensity, and color because they burn off the gas that's inside those tubes after awhile. When I changed my bulbs out you wouldn't believe the bulbs before were the same ones.

Price? I think I paid $2-3 for a 2 pack at home depot...
    Most of my bulbs aren't tubes, so it'll cost me much more to replace them.

Chloroplast: You said it! You have to consider how much better the plants will ACTUALLY do. For me it's just not worth the money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Helldragon4356 @ Feb. 23 2006,9:27)]One Question Though, I'm only using a 10 gallon aquarium and was wondering what would be absolutely PERFECT for this size aquarium. Also the plants I'm growing are mostly all Drosera but i also do have one Ping and one Utricalaria
    Any tropical/subtropical rosetted Drosera would do well. Utrics will do well also but you need good air circulation for optimal conditions.

I have a 10gal. that I have kept as a nursery in the past, and the way I have it set up is with 2 48" shop light fixtures. They overhang on both sides of the aquarium so I place germination trays on both sides of the lights. That's if you have room though [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    I always suspect everything could be a trap... thats why I'm still alive
    N.A.S.C. Region 9 Head Grower

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/ZAK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, if blue is cool why 18,000K is bad?, i change mines each 2 years and blue ones each 8 months, XDDDD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if this helps anybody, but I have noticed a difference in my plants regaurding different bulbs. I have them under two sets of 4' flourescent fixtures. One fixture has a cool white and a grow light bulb. The plants under this set of lights don't seem to recognize a difference between the bulbs. If anything they color up slightly better under the grow bulb. My second fixture holds two grow bulbs. One is just a few months old and has green ends. The other is 2-3 years old and visibly more red. Now as I said both are designed for plants, but all the plants under this fixture prefer the older bulb (Pinguicula, for example, send their flower stalks in that direction). To me age of bulb doesn't matter as long as the plants will grow, but color temperature seems to be very important.

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ummm, i tink older bulbs lost blue, so they flower cuz red is in old bulbs, very interesting... thanks rubra, hay i got a question what pings you grow in terrarium ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay! I just bought a six pack of compact flourescent soft white bulbs!

they are 26 watt and put out 1700 lumens. How many of these should i use for my 10 gal tank. Keep in mind that i have reflective lining on the outside of my tank and leave the light on for 12 hours, 13 or 14 sometimes when i am not at my house when i need to turn it off.
    Hey! Wats Happenin! Lean Wit It Rock Wit It!

----------------

Ask Me How I Know....It's Me....Surprise! Its's Goin Down!

----------------

Do Watcha Do You And Yo Crew! Snap Yo Fingers!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast