What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! Mold on my Cork Bark

There is mold growing on my cork bark, white, about a cm long and looks kinda like hair or fur. My terrarium is high humidity, but I was told cork bark is good with that. What is it, and will it effect my plants? My little frog?

to get rid of it i would submerge it for a week(terrestrial fungus dosent grow under water. then put it under intense grow lights or in the sun(somthing that will make it dry very fast.

I can't really do that - all the cork is glued in place...

I have heard recommended applying some cinnamon to mold. Would that be do-able?

I just got Cleary's 3336WP from PetFlytrap (ever hear of these guys??) for molds and fungus, and have 0 mold this winter. TRY IT! It will kill many forms of mold and fungus. In the proper amounts, and they ARE premeasured, your plants will thrive while fungus and mold WILL NOT!!!!

cinamon is ok for a tulip and a drosera capensis?, how to use it??. I use for all my plants, (exept cp), Iodo....Ummm is iodine?, its named Tech I from kent marine XDDD

Hi there. I tried the cinnamon, and it didnt work - in fact, it made it worse! Now there is little spots of greenish mold growing where the cinnamon specks fell. I don't want my little frog to get sick!

I'm sorry!  
smile_h_32.gif

Hey i know I, IODE?, is toxic but i use it to kill fungus, u can use salt to i sea sea salt, but only in common plants, dont know how it will act to the frog or cps, but what abouth removing the pice w a sharp knife?.

Would maybe a Chlorox wipe over the affected areas work?

first how long has it been affected and how long has it been in there? fungus is normal especially for the first couple months. sometimes its severe most of the time its not, once the fungus eats most of the nuitrients it will begin to disappear and you generally will never much of a problem on that piece of wood again. i see this all the time in my frog tanks with grape wood and ghost wood and other woods

The fungus shouldn't hurt the frog, and may be benfitial to the plants. There are many plants that require fungus arounds thier roots to grow. Some pine trees are that way and many terestrial orchids are. Just about any plants benefits from some fungus unless its over runing the plant. They are decomposers and to like rattler said once they get whatthey can get they normaly will die off. Lichens decompose wood. they are a fungus and either aglea or cianobacteria(sp) pretty cool accualy. They also decompose rocks. I would be hesitant to use clearies or physan 20 because of the frog in there. You could tey a cotton ball or q tip with alcohol too , but it may take a while to get it all. Is it to much to take the frog out and the plants and do a scrub of the tank?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Feb. 25 2006,9:32)]I just got Cleary's 3336WP from PetFlytrap (ever hear of these guys??) for molds and fungus, and have 0 mold this winter. TRY IT! It will kill many forms of mold and fungus. In the proper amounts, and they ARE premeasured, your plants will thrive while fungus and mold WILL NOT!!!!
If I were you, i'd try that method. I believe it's rare and difficult to chance upon a mold/fungus killer that does not incur damange upon your plants.

I'm going to get that if I ever see mold/fungus.

unless its a rare plant i would not treat with anything being as there is a frog involved. i hvae had orchids growing in areas of mold as described above with no ill effects as the mold was not after living plant tissue just the nitrients off of the dead wood. remember frogs are EXTRAMLY delicate when it comes to chemicals

Back