Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lights for a terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    I have a question. Ive been using an undertank heater by zoo-med and its not working. It only raises it to 71F and I know this is not enuf for a bical,raff,ventrat,ventricosa,coccinea, and MAYBE a ceph. Does anyone have reccomendations on how to make the undertank heater more effective? Ive tryed it both on the side and bottom but both dont work. Im using one 25 watt compact bulb equivelent to 100watt and Im not sure if this is enuf light either. Last, wat is better as a heating source a ceramic heater or infrered light? Ive used the infrered light b4 but i think it burned my plants. But not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try this...put a light inside the tank. one 50watt bulb is the difference between a highland/intermediet tank and a lowland tank. the night time temps went from 60 to 75* and day time temps went from 70 to 85* humidity was still very high.
    just to tell you now cephs need cooler temps than what your tank is
    alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cooler, u mean a 75f temperature will kill my cep!!!, oh my gosh!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im keeping my ceph in 71F and its all brown with out pitchers!!!! It has pitchers but they are all brown and kinda mushy. I think it mite be a goner. O ya and how do u put a lite IN the tank? Last, how do I help my CEPH??!?!?!

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm growing mine in my window. Temp ranges from somewhere in the middle to upper 60s at night to as high as 90f during the day during the last week. Day temp averages about 80F. It gets direct light during the afternoon and indirect light 'till sunset. It's growing like crazy and producing new pitchers.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that a Cephalotus belongs in the same environment as N. bicalcarata. In fact, I'm not even sure that N. bical and ventricosa are compatible. The Cephalotus, N. ventricosa and x. ventrata will do fine with temps in the 70s - you could maybe even get the N. rafflesiana and N. x. coccinea working as intermediates in that kind of tank. But N. bical is a big plant and it needs care specific to lowlanders, so you might as well keep the N. raff and x. coccinea with it. My Ceph, N. ventricosa and alata x x. ventrata all do fine in a tank with 35%-70% humidity and temps from 62 to 72 daily. How are you watering your Ceph? I find mine very forgiving of light and temps so long as I keep it well watered and drained.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im just watering it over-head every few days like, every 2 or 3 days. Ill definetly move my bical once I can another terrarium. Maybe I can keep the bical in a windowsill in my bedroom that receives bright indirect light? The temps there are 75F during the whole day.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need to find a new terrarium on the cheap, I'd recommend calling around to aquarium shops and pet stores and asking if they have any old aquariums or tanks with scratches or cracks. As long as the bottom is good, you can patch it suitably for use as a terrarium. Another place to check is your local newspaper classifieds, and craigslist.com. You can often find large tanks for free, so long as you go pick it up yourself. Best luck.
    ~Joe

PS - How are you top-watering your Ceph? I was surprised to find that it's not good to wet the foliage of Cephalotus while watering, as the fuzz on the foliage and its compact growth habit make the crown of the plant prone to rot when wet. Watering around the perimeter of the plant prevents this.
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast