Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new terrarium will this lizard tank work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yo, The easiest plants to grow in a terraium setup are sundews. I would start with those, maybe somewhere down the line you could stick a Nep. in there. Just be warned that Nep's get big. Also you might want to avoid Sarra's and VFT's because they need a dormancy.

What kind of truck are you getting? If I had to get a truck it would definitely be the Nissan Titan. Those are bad @$$. Whatever it is it better be 4WD.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it wont be new whatever it is it has to be 6,000 and under and it will def have a V-8 hopfully 4WD and definitly dual exhaust and an air intake but thx for the info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D.capensis, adelae and capillaris are easy drosera (sundews).
    U.livida and dichotoma are easy utrics (bladderworts).

I'd stay away from pinguicula (butterworts) for your first attempt with a classic terrarium. I'd also stay away from VFTs and Sarrs as they need dormancy. Unless you keep them in pots above the waterline, I'd avoid nepenthes (pitcher plants) as their roots don't like being constantly wet.

Have you considered building a terrarium where the plants are kept separately in pots (or growing the plants on a plain old shelf)? These are much easier to maintain and allow you to grow a wider variety of plants. Just a thought.....

As for lighting, for a 15gal, the easiest thing is to buy two clamp lights and two 20-30W compact fluorescents at HD or Lowes. This should cost ~$25. You also want to buy a digital temp/humidity reader at HD ($20), and leave a small crack open in the lid for air circulation and reduction of temps (or buy a CPU fan and splice it to an extension cord).
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive thought of having a poted terarium but to me they are just well not as good looking aqs classic. but i think im buying an aquarium thats 20 gal down at petco now not much bigger a little wider so your lighting method should still work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going to use a 20gal (about 28" L, if I recall correctly), you should use 2 2' long fluorescent tube fixtures. Each of these fixtures cost ~$20 and will each hold 2 20W fluorescent tubes for a total of 80W lighting.

IMHO, tubes are better than compacts for terraria because they produce much less heat. Heat buildup can be an issue with terraria.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12